Sunday, January 10, 2010

Week in Review: Sick and Tired

This has been one long week. I can't say I'm sorry it's over. It's been bitter cold all week on top of Aubrey being sick. Not a winning combination. It's just been one of those weeks, and I'm hoping that this one coming up will be better!

Sunday: We went to church and Sunday School. We came home and had roast for lunch. Aubrey had been coughing for a few days but we just assumed it was allergies from pulling up our old carpet. Sunday afternoon we realized she really wasn't feeling great though. So I stayed home with her while David went to church that night. That pretty much set the tone for the rest of the week.

Monday: Oh, Monday. That was the really bad day. I don't think I need to go into all that again :)

Tuesday: Aubrey and I had a very low-key day. We hung out at home ALL DAY. We did lots of breathing treatments and were very careful with her injured finger. The highlight of my day was getting text updates from my friend, Rebekkah, who was having her baby that day! David came home, I went to Bunco, Aubrey's finger bled again. You already know about that too though.

Wednesday: Another low-key day. Oh, one of our friends from church had let us borrow her nebulizer for Aubrey's breathing treatments so we didn't have to rent one. Well, she called me Wednesday morning all worked up because her child had woken up in the middle of the night wheezing bad. She said it really scared her, and she almost called us in the middle of the night to come get her nebulizer. I felt terrible! She had a broken nebulizer that she had given us also. She said if we could fix it we could keep it. She came to get the working nebulizer and was able to fix the broken one too, so we didn't have to rent another one. I still felt terrible that we had her nebulizer when she really needed it :-/ I was able to get out of the house for a little while that afternoon to go see Rebekkah at the hospital :) Wednesday night I stayed home with Aubrey while David went to church. He had a meeting, so he couldn't miss.

Thursday: My mom was sweet enough to keep Aubrey for a little while so that I could go to lunch with Ashley and Sarah Denley. I sure needed a break! It was awesome to get out of the house! Our upstairs heater is broken (so annoying!) so someone was supposed to be coming to fix it that afternoon. He showed up (a little bit late of course) but wasn't able to fix it. He needed to get a part and was going to come back the next day. It was freezing and raining that day, so karate was canceled that night in case the roads were icy. I was happy that David was home and Aubrey and I didn't have to spend another night by ourselves :) We were able to get a few things done around the house, so that was nice.

Friday: The heater guy was supposed to be coming back at 1:00, so Aubrey and I just hung around the house all morning waiting for him to come. Of course, 1:00 is her naptime so she was getting very fussy while we waited. At 1:45 when he still hadn't showed up and I was trying to console an exhausted baby, I nearly had a hissy fit. I was so incredible annoyed. David called him and he said some things had come up, and he would try to be there by 4. Excuse me while I scream!! I put Aubrey down for her nap, and I had to wake her up when he showed up at 4:15. Bless her heart. The worst part?? He STILL wasn't able to fix the heater and would have to come back the next day. You've got to be kidding me. He was very apologetic for being so late, and he told me to just name a time for him to come the next day. We would be top priority. I said 10:00AM. After he left David, Aubrey, and I went to dinner at a Mexican restaurant and we rented the Star Trek movie. At this point the stress of the week was starting to catch up with me and I just felt BLAH.

Saturday: David got up early and did yard work. Then he had to go to a funeral. Aubrey and I were going to wait for the heater guy and then go shopping with my mom and grandmother. I really wanted to get out of the house. Well, 10 rolls around. No heater guy. We wait and wait and wait. Finally at 11:15 I decided that I was just going to leave when I felt like it. If he showed up, well that was just too bad for him. We were getting ready to go when he showed up at 11:35. I was SO angry! I rarely say anything to people like that -- I'm kind of a chicken and I just suck it up and deal with it. But I told this guy that I thought he was was coming at 10, and I assumed he wasn't coming. He was just like, "Yeah, I had some emergency calls, but now I can focus on this." UGHHH! And guess what?? After he worked on it for an hour, he wasn't able to fix it!! He has to come back Monday! NO!! I was frustrated, angry, annoyed, and starving by that point. My mom brought me lunch. We were able to go shopping for a little while -- just a few stores. Like Target. After I finished at Target I was going to head home because I was having a Girl's Night Out with Ashley and Sarah Denley (Praise the Lord!). I needed to take Aubrey home to David and head to Ashley's house. I loaded Aubrey into her carseat and she grabbed my keys. I threw them onto the front seat to get them away from her. I closed her door and went to open my door, and it was locked. Yes, apparently when Aubrey grabbed my keys she had hit the lock button. So now my keys, my phone, and my child were all locked in the car. My mom had already left. I was alone. So I had to yell at some women across the parking lot to see if I could use a phone. I called David and he came to unlock the door. Thankfully, we live really close to Target, but it was SO cold! Aubrey was great the whole time and thought it was hilariuos that I was talking to her through the window. I did get a few strange looks. Ha!

David took Aubrey home, and I was able to meet my girls. It was SO nice! We went to see Leap Year, which was great! Then we went to dinner at a nice "adult" restaurant and stayed there so late talking. It was just what I needed! It was wonderful to be able to talk about my frustrating week to two people who totally get it. They get what it's like to have an "off" week as a mom. They understand that while being a stay-at-home mom is the most rewarding thing you can do, it's not always fun or easy. Sometimes it's lonely and boring. But it's ALWAYS worth it :) I came home encouraged and ready for a new week. Thanks, girls! :) By the way, we met for our movie at 4 and we didn't get home until 10. Ha! Did I mention that we all needed a break!?

So, that was my week. I realize that nothing horrible happened to me this week. My child is sleeping soundly right now. She is healthy. David and I are healthy. We have a roof over our heads. We are so blessed. Even during my worst week, I have it so easy. But I'm just keeping things real, and this week was just tough. I'm going to do everything I can to make this coming up week better! Let's just hope the heater guy shows up (sort of) on time tomorrow! :)


The Niemeyer Nest said...

I hope this week is better for you! It sounds like you had a rough week. Girl time always puts everything into perspective. You are lucky to have SD and Ashley. One of my good girlfriends just started back to work so I know it will be a lot harder to see her! Best of luck that your heater gets repaired this morning,

Kendra! :) said...

Oh, Carrie! I am so sorry you had a bad week! And you're pregnant on top of that. I hope baby2 is treating you well with all of these others things on top of it. I hope you can make it out to Women's Night Out at Corner Bakery tonight! More relaxing girl time! :)

Sarah Denley said...

What a week! Okay, we need to do girls' night WAY more often. We also need to get our ChessNerd husbands together (and Ash and Kurt, of course!) soon!