Monday, October 15, 2012

Week in Review: Fall Break

This week was extremely uneventful -- kind of boring, actually. Aubrey didn't have school because they had "fall break" so we didn't even get out of the house to go pick her up. I feel like this is how it always goes for us; our weeks are either super busy to the point of almost being stressful, or they're totally open and a bit boring. Haha! Oh well, I guess it all balances out in the end :)

Sunday: We went to church that morning. Our church does "family camp" a couple of times a year, and a bunch of families go camp together for a weekend and then have church at the campsite (our senior pastor goes). Our family doesn't participate (I'm NOT a camper -- shocking, right? ;) and church was pretty sparse that day since a lot of people were camping. There wasn't children's church, so Aubrey stayed in the service the whole time. She did GREAT. Our Sunday School class didn't meet either since most people from our class were camping, so David and I went to a different class. We enjoyed it. We came home after church and ate lunch. The kids and I napped that afternoon, and then we went back to church that evening. It was a small crowd again, and we had a prayer service. After church, we were going to go to Quizznos with my family. We got there 20 minutes before they closed, and the employees made it clear that they were NOT happy about that. So, we got our food to go and we all came to our house and ate it. That was fun, and the kids loved playing with my brothers for a little while. When they left, we got the kids to bed.

Monday: Aubrey didn't have school, so we stayed home and had an extremely uneventful day. We didn't do much at all. I got some laundry done and the kids played and watched a movie. The weather was really nice, so we took our lunch outside on the deck and had a picnic. Aubrey is really into picnics right now :) After lunch, we went into the backyard and the kids had fun sliding and swinging. Then we played hide and go seek in the yard until naptime. I put the kids down and took a shower. When the kids got up, we played some more and I cooked dinner. We ate together, and then I gave them baths. Jude is going through this stage where he is petrified of taking a bath (he had an unfortunate "potty incident" in the tub recently, and he's been scared ever since), so baths with him are a little stressful. I got him bathed off and out as quickly as possible, and then we watched Dancing with the Stars. David got home and put Aubrey and Jude to bed while I put Alaina down.

Tuesday: We got up and got ready for Bible Study. It was good, and the kids had fun in the nursery. I picked them up and we headed home and ate leftovers for lunch. I let them play for a while, and then I put them all down for naps. I put some spaghetti sauce in the crockpot and cooked some carrots for Alaina. When David got home, he played with the kids while I cooked some noodles for dinner, and then I got ready for Bunco. I left David and the kids and went to my mom's house because she was hosting that night. It was fun! I almost won a prize for least games (biggest loser -- haha), but I lost in the roll-off. When I got home, David and I talked for a while before bed.

Wednesday: Aubrey and Alaina were due for some shots, and I HATE taking them, so David was going to take them that morning. We thought it would be pretty quick, but it ended up taking FOREVER. I felt bad about that. While they were gone, Jude and I went on a long walk around our neighborhood. He loves riding in the stroller and was just as happy as could be :) It was fun having one-on-one time with him. I took a shower when we got back from our walk, and then Jude and I went to meet David to get the girls so that David could go on to work. We drove through Chick Fil A on our way home to get Aubrey lunch for being so "brave" during her shots. We ate when we got home, and then I put them all down for naps. Alaina did really well after her shots, and Aubrey did too, but Aubrey complained about her arms hurting a good bit. Poor girl. While they napped, I cleaned up the house and got ready for church. David came home to ride with us, and we went to church for dinner. My friend taught our 1st and 2nd grade class, and I helped with crowd control :) David and I brought the kids home and got them to bed after church.

Thursday: Normally I tutor some boys in my dad's ministry on Thursday afternoons, but my mom called to say that my dad said not to worry about coming that afternoon because the  kids didn't have a lot of homework. So, we had another full day at home. It worked out well because Alaina was fussy after her shots the day before. She didn't nap very well. It took her forever, but she finally took a decent morning nap. I got a few things done while she napped, and Aubrey and Jude played. They bickered SO much that morning. It got old listening to them scream at each other, so I finally had to separate them in their own rooms for a while. I hate it when they fight :-/ I did a ton of laundry that morning and even put a bunch of it up immediately (probably my least favorite chore). We ate lunch and then just played until naptime. By the time it rolled around, I was more than ready for a little break. Haha! I took a short nap that afternoon -- more from boredom than tiredness. It wasn't long, though, because Alaina woke up, and I held her and let her sleep some more. I was planning on cooking dinner, but with Alaina so fussy and needing to be held, I knew I wouldn't be able to get it done. I called David and asked him to pick up pizza on his way home. That evening, the kids and I went outside and played in the front yard for a change in scenery -- we usually play in the back. We started walking on the sidewalk and ended up walking all the way to the end of our street and back. Aubrey and Jude walked, and I just carried Alaina. It was fun and nice for all of us to get a little exercise! Aubrey and I played "I Spy" while we were walking, and she loved that. When we got back home, we sat outside until the mosquitoes were biting too much, and then we came inside. David got home with dinner a few minutes later. We ate and then had a family devotion. Then David took the kids upstairs for baths and I ran to Kroger to get a few things. When I got home, I fed Alaina and got her to sleep while I watched the vice presidential debate. David and I talked for a while before bed.

Friday: We were going on a field trip to the library and park with Aubrey's school that morning.I knew taking Alaina would be difficult, so my mom came over to watch her. I was running late getting our lunches packed and getting us out the door. We got to the library about 10 minutes late, but they hadn't started so it wasn't too big of a deal. They had a little story time, and it was cute! Aubrey and Jude were both really clingy, but they had fun anyway :) After the library, we walked next door to the park and had a picnic lunch. The kids loved it, but it was a little on the warm side for me. I then took Aubrey and Jude to the play equipment to play for a while before we needed to go home. They were going through a little tunnel that led to a slide, and I couldn't see them well in the tunnel, so I walked to the slide so that I would be right there when they came down. I saw Jude.... but no Aubrey. I called for her, and she didn't answer. I grabbed Jude and started looking for Aubrey and there was no sign of her right around where we had been. I stayed calm for about... oh, 5 seconds, and then I was frantic. I was yelling her name like a crazy person and literally shaking. I was baffled about where she could be because she was out of my sight for literally less than 20 seconds while she went through the tunnel. I ran up to where we had had our picnic lunch to see if she went back up there. No sign of her. Thankfully, Sarah Denley and one of my friends from church were there, and they ran to help me look for Aubrey. Other moms saw what was going on and helped me look too. It turned out that Aubrey had just gone out the other end of the tunnel and run over to another section of the park instead of going through the tunnel to the slide and was playing happily. It was only about 2 minutes that I didn't know where she was, but it was awful and felt like an eternity and probably took a few years off my life. I was ready to call it a day after that ;) I don't think I'll be going back to that park (it's big and crowded) again unless David is with me. We walked back to our car and headed home. When we got home, my sweet mom had cleaned up my house for me because I was having company that afternoon, and in my rush to get out the door that morning, I had left it a mess. My mom left, and I got Aubrey and Jude down for naps. Alaina wasn't quite ready for another nap, so she just hung out with me. My friend, Anna, who I haven't seen in years came over that afternoon with her little girl. Anna was a bridesmaid in my wedding, but we lost touch right after my wedding. She hasn't met any of my kids, and I had never met her little girl, either. We reconnected on facebook, and decided to get together! It was so fun to catch up on the past almost 6 years! She stayed for a couple of hours, and I ended up letting Aubrey come downstairs early because she wasn't napping. David got home right after Anna left, and he had to do a little work on the computer. After he finished, we went to dinner at Broadstreet. We sat outside, and it should have been fun, but the kids were just a hand-full and whiny that night. When we loaded them into the car, they were all screaming for various reasons. I needed to go to Books-A-Million to get my book club book, but since the kids were in such a state, David just dropped me off at the door and I ran in. Thankfully, by the time I got back out to the car, they had all calmed down. We came home and got them all to bed, and then David and I watched Thor.

Saturday: David and Aubrey and Jude went to the Farmer's Market that morning, and Alaina and I stayed home and slept in. Right after we got up, David called to say they were going to eat breakfast and he wanted to know if Alaina and I wanted to join. Of course we did, so they came and picked us up. After breakfast, we came home and just hung out and watched some football (well, David watched football). We put the kids down for naps that afternoon, I spray painted a lamp, and then I went to Target for diapers. When I got home, I took a shower and got ready, and then we bathed the kids and got them ready. That evening, we went to an Italian place for dinner with my whole family for my grandmother's birthday. My aunt had come in town for my grandmother's birthday, and it was fun to hang out with my family :) We had a great dinner, and when we finished, David and the kids and I went to Kroger. By the time we got home, it was past bedtime, and the babies were TIRED. We got them to bed, and I ironed our church clothes for the next day before going to bed.

No comments: