Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Week in Review: Mother's Day, Farmer's Markets, and Croup

This is so late because I've been taking care of sick kids. Jude and Aubrey have been sick since Friday. I've also been reading like a made woman. I had book club last night (and I was even facilitating), and I waited until, oh, about FRIDAY to start my 400 page book. I'm such a procrastinator! I did finished it, though, so now I'm free again. Haha! So, here's what we did last week:

Sunday: We got up and got ready for church. We were having lunch company for Mother's Day, so we had to leave the house clean. We got to church, and Alaina went to the nursery for the first time. It was a little bittersweet to leave her, but she did great, and it was nice to be able to sit through the whole service again. I fed her between church and Sunday School. Sunday School was good, and we rushed home after it was over. My family and my grandparents came over, and we got lunch ready. We had a nice time. It was also my grandmother's birthday, so it was a double celebration :)
 After our guests left, we got Aubrey and Jude down for naps (Alaina was already asleep), and I took a short nap too. We went back to church that evening and then came home to eat leftovers for dinner. We got the kids to bed, I got on the internet and blogged, and went to bed.

Monday: That morning, we got up and got ready, and I took the kids to my parents' house so that I could go to the gym. I had a good workout -- I'm on week 3 of Couch to 5K. When I finished at the gym, I ran to Home Depot. I couldn't find what I was looking for, though. We hung out at my parents' house for a while, and then we came home for naps. When I got the kids down, I took a shower and did a load of laundry. The house was clean from having company the day before, so I just enjoyed the rest of naptime :) When everyone got up, we played outside for a little while until I needed to start dinner.
 We ate, I bathed the kids, and then we watched Dancing with the Stars. David got home and put Aubrey and Jude to bed, and I got Alaina fed and to bed. The rest of the night, I got on the internet, straightened up, and picked out clothes for the kids to wear to Bible Study the next day.

Tuesday: We got ready for Bible Study, and for some reason, it was just kind of a stressful morning. We just had trouble getting it together and getting out the door. When we finally made it, it was just me and one other girl there. We were between studies, so we just chatted and prayed. We finished early, and Alaina was wearing her last diaper, so I knew we needed to make a Target run. I fed her before we left church, and we headed to Target. Alaina was screaming in the car, so I was dreading our errand. She fell asleep right before we got there, so that was a relief! When I got Jude out of the car and put him in the buggy, he had a meltdown because he wanted to ride in the back of the buggy. That's the only place Alaina's carseat will fit, though, and I wasn't about to give in to a temper tantrum anyway. I figured he would just get over it in a minute and we would go on in. I got Aubrey out, and all of Jude's screaming woke Alaina up. Jude was just getting louder and louder, and I was so stressed. I knew I couldn't take him in acting like that, and people were staring at us in the parking lot, so I just loaded the kids back up and left. I just felt so frustrated and defeated. I called David and asked him to pick up diapers on his way home from work, and Alaina had to wear Jude's diapers that afternoon :/ Jude wasn't interested in eating lunch when we got home, so I just put him down for a nap. Whew! After all that, I took a short catnap myself while the kids rested. Jude woke up in a better mood (thank the Lord!), and I deboned a chicken I had cooked. When David got home, I cooked dinner while he entertained the kids. We ate, the kids, played, and we had a low-key evening. Once we got everyone to bed, I got on the internet and relaxed :)

Wednesday: When we got up that morning, we started getting ready. I gave the kids baths and got us all dressed, and then we went through Chick Fil A to pick up lunch to take to Sarah Denley's house. CFA took FOREVER. I got so annoyed because usually they're so fast. We were pretty late getting to SD's house. We had fun, though! The kids did well. When we got home, it was naptime. I did some cleaning and straightening while the kids napped. David came home that afternoon, and we got ready and went to church. We had fun at church. I chatted with some friends and fed Alaina. We left pretty late and put the kids right to bed when we got home. I was watching American Idol while I fed Alaina, and she just would not go to sleep. She was just squirming and fussing. It took her the longest time to get to sleep, and I was just tired and frustrated. David finally ended up getting her to sleep, and that was a relief! We went to bed soon after she did.

Thursday: I took the kids to my parents' again and went to the gym. When I finished exercising, I went back to my parents' house and fed Alaina and ate lunch. Then I left the kids there and went to get my hair cut. I hadn't had my hair cut in forever, so it was nice to get a trim :) When I got back to pick up the kids, my grandparents were on their way to my parents' house to see the children. So we visited a while longer, and then we came home for naps.
Aubrey fell down and hurt her knee when she was at my parents' house, and they didn't have any bandaids, so my dad made her a makeshift one :)
 It was pretty late, and I didn't have high hopes for naptime, but they all ended up going to sleep. I was able to get ready while they slept, and then I had to wake them becasue we were meeting some friends from church at a Farmer's Market that evening. I got everyone loaded up, and we met David at a mall so that we could ride together. We had a lot of fun at the Farmer's Market! They had a water slide for kids and music and lots of fun stuff to look at.

Watching the kids on the water slide deciding if they want to venture in.
Aubrey decided she would give it a shot....
...and down she comes! She didn't do it again. Ha!
Jude wasn't a fan of the water slide.
But he WAS a fan of splashing in the puddles ;)
 We got pizza at the Farmer's Market for dinner, and it was so good! We stayed until it was about bedtime, and then we headed home. We stopped at the mall to get David's car, and Alaina was screaming, so David let me drive his car.... I enjoyed the quiet! :) We put the kids to bed when we got home, and I tried to read a little of my book club book. I was pretty tired and didn't get far at all before going to bed.


Friday: Jude was up in the night and he felt warm. I had been planning to workout that morning, but when Jude got up, he still felt feverish. My mom keeps a little girl on Fridays, so I didn't want to risk exposing her to something, so we just stayed home. It worked out well, because I was able to get a good bit done around the house. I did some chores that I had been putting off, like changing bed sheets. Jude was kind of clingy, but he seemed normal otherwise. We ate lunch, and then I put the kids down for naps. I took a shower, and then Jude woke up from his nap with the dreaded croup cough. We are no strangers to croup, though, and we have medicine. I gave him some and actually thought that it was a good thing that he got it during the day. I figured he would be fine by that night after the medicine. When David got home, he played with the kids while I cooked dinner. We ate, and then we all made a Wal-Mart run. It was bedtime when we got home, so we put the kids down. It didn't last long. Jude was up crying and coughing. He was having trouble breathing (from the croup), so David took him into the bathroom with the shower going for the steam, and then he held him in front of the freezer. Jude seemed better, but as soon as he would lay down, he would be coughing and struggling to breathe again. So, David went and just held him in the the glider. I was furiously trying to read my book club book during all of this. I told David I would take a shift later that night. David brought Jude to me around 1, and I tried holding him in our bed propped up. That just didn't go well. Jude was fussy and uncomfortable and just wanted to lay down. David ended up taking Jude back to the glider for the rest of the night. David can sleep sitting up in a chair apparently, and I CANNOT. He's a sweet Daddy/Husband! It's a good thing David took Jude, because Alaina ended up having a rough night for the first time in WEEKS. After feeding her and attempting unsuccessfully several times to get her back to sleep in her bed, I just put her in the bed with me since David was sleeping upstairs. She did go back to sleep, but she was squirmy and fussy all night. I think the pizza I ate Thursday night was bothering her tummy. I vowed then and there to stay away from dairy!

Saturday: I got up with Aubrey around 7:30, and David and Jude came downstairs around 8. Jude still sounded bad and was feverish, so we decided he should go to the doctor. We got him an appointment, and David took him since I wasn't presentable :) Turns out, Jude did just have croup, and the doctor basically said to just keep doing what we were doing. David stopped by the Farmer's Market on the way home to get some milk, and then we ate lunch. We put the kids down for naps, and I took a shower and read some of my book. I got SO sleepy and decided to take a nap. I hate napping on Saturdays because it feels like I'm wasting a "fun day." I needed it after the night before, though!

Jude was doing better when he woke up, so we decided we needed to get out of the house. We all went to Target, Joann's, Home Depot, Jason's Deli, and Kroger. When we got home, we put the kids to bed and hoped that we would have a better night. Sadly, Aubrey woke up in the middle of the night with croup :(

No comments: