Sunday, February 26, 2012

Week in Review: Bed Rest

Well, our week didn't go as planned since I got put on bed rest. I'm thankful to have the first week of bed rest behind me. I'm praying for not many more. Come on, Alaina! I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, so I will update after that. Bed rest has not been fun, but we've had a LOT of help, and we really appreciate our families and friends. We couldn't do this without them. I'm also so thankful for David. He's had to take over doing everything for the kids and a lot around the house, and he hasn't complained.

Sunday: I got up that morning and took a shower. Then I checked my blood pressure since it had been up the night before. It was some where in the 130/100 range. What?! It has NEVER been that high at home, especially when I'm perfectly calm. So, I called my doctor's office and the on-call nurse called me back. She told me to lay on my side for 30 minutes and recheck it. If it went down, I could just rest and take it easy until my doctor's appointment the next day. If it stayed high, I would need to go to the hospital that morning. Lovely. David continued to get the kids ready for church while I laid on my side. I took my blood pressure again, and it was 112/82, so I got to stay home! :) We decided that it would be fine (probably best) for David to take the kids to church and I would stay home in the quiet and continue to rest. I did go upstairs and help David get the kids dressed. When they left, I just laid around and got on the internet for a while. I got up for a few minutes and put some stuff in the crockpot for soup for lunch. I then dozed off until David called to tell me they were on their way home. I got up when they got here, and my grandmother had brought a bunch of food to our church for us. The crockpot soup needed to cook a while longer, so we ate the food from my grandmother for lunch.Aubrey snacking on a candy necklace.

David then put the kids down for naps, and I took another nap :) Bed rest was pretty nice at this point. David took the kids to church again that night, and I laid on the couch and read, got on the internet, and got a little bored. At this point, I started to think that I was over bed rest. When the family got home, we ate the soup that I had made earlier for dinner. Then it was bedtime for the babies, and David handled both of their bed time routines. I hated that I wasn't able to help at all, but I thought I should probably avoid the stairs. David and I talked for a little while, and then we went to bed.

Monday: My doctor's appointment wasn't until that afternoon, so the kids and I were on our own that morning. I wasn't exactly on what would be considered bed rest, but I did try to do less than normal. We watched Lady and the Tramp that morning, and I reclined on the couch while the movie was on. Then I took a shower and got dressed, and my grandparents came over. They were coming anyway to stay with the kids while I went to the doctor, but they came a little early to help me. We fed the kids lunch, and I put on my makeup and got ready for my appointment. I put Jude down for his nap, and that was the last time I put him to bed probably until after the baby is born :( Aubrey was having so much fun playing with my grandparents that I let her stay up. I told them they could put her in her room for rest time if she got grumpy. I then left for what turned out to be a long appointment. David met me there, and we had our sonogram first. That was fun, and the baby was doing great! Unfortunately, my BP wasn't so hot, and I had to go spend the night in the hospital. David stayed with me until I got all settled in, and then he went home to get my overnight bag. He brought it back, and I decided to be a big girl and stay at the hospital by myself. I've never done that before, but I knew it would be best for the kids if David was at home. He went home to relieve my poor grandparents who had been at my house ALL DAY by that point. I ate dinner at the hospital, watched a little TV, did some reading, and talked to David on the phone. I then turned the lights out and went to sleep pretty early for lack of anything else to do. The nurses I had were all REALLY sweet and tried to leave me alone as much as possible. I've always had such great experiences in the hospital where I have my babies. It was the hospital, though, and my room was loud, so my night was a bit restless.

Tuesday: My doctor came in before 8 to tell me that I got a "get out of jail free card." Haha! My lab work was normal, and my blood pressure had actually been really good in the hospital. Sadly, I got out of jail free, but it was on bed rest. I got my discharge instructions, and then I went home. They let me drive myself home since my car was there, but they said I didn't need to be driving after that. When I got home, the kids and David were just hanging out. I don't even think they noticed I was gone. I immediately took up residence on the couch. My mom came over late morning, and David got ready and went to work. My mom hung out with us all day, and it was a fairly ok day. When the kids went down for their naps, I took a shower and a nap too. By the time I got up, it was almost time for David to be home. My mom left, and David took over everyone's care. We had an uneventful night. David ordered pizza for dinner, and he took the kids to pick it up. I was feeling pretty restless that evening, but there wasn't much I could do. David bathed the kids and then they snuggled with me before bed :)No makeup and looking like a fatty, but I sure love my babies!!
David got the kids to bed, and David Arant dropped some leftover food off for us from the deacon's meeting at church. David and I then we went to bed fairly early.

Wednesday: My grandmother came over that morning, and David went to work. Our morning was fine. We watched some movies, and my grandmother played with the kids. I tried to be as involved in their day as I could from the couch. I took a shower and put on clean pajamas. Ha! We ate lunch, and then my grandmother put Jude down for his nap. I let Aubrey stay up a little late because my mother-in-law was coming over, and I was going to let Aubrey see her. When she got here, she took Aubrey upstairs, and my grandmother stayed for a little while longer. When she left, I went to my room to rest. I was tired and was going to take a nap, but I didn't sleep well the night before, so I stayed awake and read/rested. When I got up, Jude was awake and playing, and Aubrey was asleep. David got home soon after that, and Aubrey woke up. His mom stayed for a short time, and then she left. I helped David with outfits for the kids to wear to church. They left for church, and I had the house to myself. It was nice for a little while, but I just felt blah. When David and the kids got home, they told me about church, and I just felt weirdly emotional. David took Jude upstairs, and Aubrey and I talked downstairs, but I was just on the verge of tears the whole time. David took Aubrey upstairs, and I wrote a very whiny blog post. David and I went to bed early again (that's one plus about bed rest -- I'm good with going to bed early because that means another day down).

Thursday: My mom came over that day. I felt a lot better emotionally than I had the night before. The day was pretty much the same. Movies, couch, spending as much with the kids as possible. I took a shower, the kids ate lunch, and then my mom put them down for naps. During naptime, my mom and I were very productive and went through all of Alaina's clothes. That felt good to get something done! That afternoon, David got home and my mom left. That night, there was a banquet at church for my Dad's ministry. It was the first SOK banquet, and David and I were really sad to miss it. We had another night at home. We ate dinner and then David bathed the kids. The Arants came by to bring leftover food from the banquet. They stayed and visited for a few minutes, and it was nice to have conversation from the outside world. Haha! After they left, David put the kids to bed. I read a little before bed.

Friday: I slept in that day. By the time I woke up, my dad and brother had come to take Aubrey and Jude to breakfast and David had gone to work. My mom and the little girl she babysits for were over here for when the kids got home. My dad and brothers brought the kids home, and they took a mattress out of our dining room (it was from our old guest bedroom that's now Jude's room) and loaded it into my dad's truck to take to Gateway. It made my day to get that thing out of my dining room! They left, and Aubrey and her little friend, Leah, watched a movie and played. I thought it would be fun for Aubrey to have a friend to play with since she's sort of been cooped up too. She did have fun, but it's funny, because she and Leah kind of have a love/hate relationship. They don't always play sweetly together. But they really do like each other. It's weird. Anyway, after lunch, everyone had nap/rest time. Leah's dad was coming over to pick her up, and I felt weird being laid out on the couch in my pj's, so I went into my room. Jude was still asleep, but Aubrey never went to sleep, so my mom got her out of her room. Leah's dad came over, and he let them play in our backyard for a while. I ended up dozing off in my room. When I woke up and came out, David was home. My mom was getting ready for a party my parents were going to that night, and then she left. I was really wanting a salad, so David took the kids to Corner Bakery to get one for me. They were apparently crowded and David and the kids were gone forever. I felt bad! When they got home, we all ate dinner. David was putting the kids to bed, and Aubrey jumped off her bed and landed weird on her ankle. She cried and cried, and we held ice on it. It never got swollen and she could move it, so we gave her Advil and hoped that she would sleep it off. After both kids were in bed, David and I watched Letters to Juliet. I think it's a cute movie, but it's probably not David's cup of tea :) We went to bed when the movie was over.

Saturday: I slept in, and when I woke up, David and the kids were gone. I called and they were playing at Burger King playing. They ran in Kroger and then came home. Apparently, Aubrey's ankle was still bothering her, and she was crawling around everywhere and refusing to walk. It was still not swollen, and she could move it, so we didn't know if it was in her head or really hurt. We had a VERY low-key day. It was nice that it was just us, though. We ate lunch, I laid on the couch, the kids played.David put them down for naps, and I read. My mom and grandmother came over before they went shopping. I gave my mom a list of things to get for me and some things to return while she was out shopping. It's nice to have a personal shopper :) That afternoon, I read and took a short nap on the couch. When the kids got up, we hung out at home some more. My mom and grandmother came back over that evening to drop off their purchases. I wanted some vegetables for dinner. I've been getting AWFUL heartburn if I eat anything slightly greasy for dinner. So David ran to a little vegetable place to get some dinner for me while my mom and grandmother were over here. The kids were eating dinner at that point. When David got home, they left and I ate. He bathed the kids that night, and then he put them to bed. We hung out for a little while that night and then went to bed.

No comments: