Monday, February 27, 2012

37 Weeks


Pregnancy Highlights
How Far Along:
37 (and a half -- totally counting days at this point) weeks
Size of baby: Over 6 pounds and 18 inches. About the size of a watermelon. Crazy!
Total Weight Gain/Loss: I lost 2 pounds since last week. Y'all, that is a Carrie Howie pregnancy first. Ha! I really thought that being on bed rest would mean that I would just lay around and eat all day and gain 30 more pounds. But, weirdly, my appetite has gone way down since going on bed rest. I guess I'm not really doing anything to work up an appetite. I do have quite a sweet tooth, though!
Maternity Clothes: When getting ready for my doctor's appointment today, I had the hardest time finding something to wear. So, there's a positive thing about bed rest -- I don't have to stand in my closet for 20 minutes everyday looking for something to wear! :)
Movement: I've been a lot more aware of her movements since laying still all day. When I was discharged from the hospital, they advised me to do kick counts a few times a day and just make sure she moves enough. Um, she does! :) I'm SO happy that she moves a lot and I'm not stressed out about that.
Gender: It's a GIRL!!! Her name is Alaina Ruth :)
Sleep: I actually haven't been sleeping that great, and I haven't even been napping much. I think part of it is that I'm not active enough to really get tired, and it's also because I'm uncomfortable. Just laying around all the time is making me sore and stiff. My ribs have really been bothering me, so I just can't get comfortable at night.
What I miss: I really miss being active. Taking care of the kids. Cooking. Cleaning my house. Going to church. Seeing my friends for our weekly lunches. Just my normal life. I am thankful to be home and not in the hospital, though!
Cravings: Anything sweet!
Symptoms: Ever since going on bed rest, I have had AWFUL indigestion. I mean awful. It had gotten SO MUCH better, so I figure it has to be from pretty much laying flat. It mostly occurs when I eat anything even slightly greasy for dinner. Then I will literally wake up with indigestion all. night. long. Tums don't even touch it. I've been watching what I eat, and that's helped. It has given me a new perspective on babies who have reflux. Just laying there feeling like your esophagus is on fire is MISERABLE. Poor babies. Other symptoms include lots of Braxton Hicks and some swelling (although it's much less now that I'm not walking). When I went to the doctor today, I hadn't made much progress on the dilation front. As a matter of fact, today she said that I was a "good 1 centimeter" whereas last week she said I was 1-2. That was a bit discouraging, but I had prepared myself to hear something like that.
Best Moment This Week: Going to the doctor today. It was just so nice to get OUT! When I came out of my bedroom ready to go to my appointment all dressed and wearing makeup and with my hair fixed, Aubrey looked shocked and said, "Mommy, you look beautiful!" Ha! She's gotten used to seeing me looking like a bum ;) My appointment went well. I got to come home, so that was the main thing :) My blood pressure was elevated of course, so I had to do a non-stress test and the baby was great. When they rechecked my blood pressure after I had been reclining for 20 minutes, it was actually really good. I got to talk to my doctor about some of my fears regarding labor and my blood pressure. I'm still thinking about my options and digesting what she told me, so I'll blog about that soon.
What I'm Looking Forward To: I'm SO ready to meet my baby! Part of it is just wanting bed rest and blood pressure issues to end, but it's mostly just that I'm SO ready to have my sweet baby girl here! I know it's going to be exhausting and a big adjustment, but I'm ready to hold my little newborn!

2 comments:

Whitney said...

So glad all went well. I'm always nervous going to the doctor but it's so nice to get out. Eager to hear what you and your doctor discussed. I'm hoping to avoid needing magnesium this time and want to talk to my doctor about that tomorrow. Hope everyone in your house is healing. Avery's ears are infected so hopefully this antibiotic will knock it out before the big day.

Anonymous said...

Well you look great!