Tuesday, February 21, 2012

36 Weeks

No picture at this point, and unfortunately, the reason for that is that I'm now officially on bed rest. And I spent a lovely night at the hospital last night. I mentioned in my Week in Review post that my blood pressure was up over the weekend. I stayed home all day Sunday and rested, and my BP was better as long as I was resting. I had my regularly scheduled OB appointment on Monday, and I fully expected my doctor to put me on bed rest. What I didn't expect was for her to walk into the room and tell me that I needed to go downstairs to the hospital for monitoring and labwork and that there was NO chance of me going home that night. My blood pressure had been really high at the doctor's office -- 143/100, yikes -- but I still wasn't expecting the hospital! Thankfully, David was with me at the appointment since we had a sonogram, so I wasn't all alone during the madnes. I was actually really calm and ok about going to the hospital, though. I really just didn't feel like I had preeclampsia, so I didn't think I'd be having the baby the next day or anything. Anyway, I stayed overnight and they monitored my BP and the baby all night. I also had bloodwork done and a 12 hour urine test. My blood pressure went way down when I was laying down, they said the baby is doing beautifully, and my labwork was all fine. So no preeclampsia for now! I got discharged this morning and came home on strict bed rest. I'm supposed to monitor my BP very closely at home, and if it ever goes up and stays up, I could be having the baby at any time. For now, everything seems to be fine, and I'm just going to the doctor every week and praying that Alaina gets to stay inside as long as she needs to :)

Pregnancy Highlights

How Far Along:
36 weeks
Size of baby: According to the sonogram, her estimated weight is 6 pounds, 3 ounces, which puts her in the 40th percentile :)
Total Weight Gain/Loss: Weight is kind of the least of my worries right now.
Maternity Clothes: Guess it doesn't really matter that I've outgrown everything -- I'll be wearing lots of pajamas and lounge wear from here on out!
Movement: She's still moving a lot, which is very reassuring. They told me to pay very close attention to her movement now. They said if she's moving, she's happy :)
Gender: It's a GIRL!!! Her name is Alaina Ruth :)
Sleep: I guess I'll be getting lots of sleep now. I took a good nap today, and that was nice after spending the night in the uncomfortable labor and delivery hospital bed last night. I don't want to sleep the days away, though, just because I'm on bed rest.
What I miss: Ummm, walking! I know it's only been a short time, but I don't think I'm going to do great on bed rest. It's so hard to not be the one taking care of the kids and doing everything for them during the day like I'm used to. I'm thankful for sweet family members who will be helping out a lot, but sometimes it's just hard for me to accept a ton of help. Especially with the kids. It makes me so sad that I'm not going to be the one getting them up in the mornings or fixing their meals or putting them down for their naps. I just hate that. I'm still trying to be involved in the daily things, though. Just because I'm on bed rest doesn't mean I can't still be their mom or be very involved with their care. I can be bossy from the couch. Haha! And I know I have to do what's best for Alaina (and myself) right now. Part of being a mom to multiple children is feeling torn occasionally, but there are times when one child just needs special care/attention, and I have to remind myself that that's ok. Right now, Alaina is that child :) Thankfully, Aubrey and Jude are pretty adaptable, and I think we'll be fine! If you know me though, you know that I am NOT a homebody at all, and I was told that I can't leave my house. Oh boy. Please pray that I have a good attitude about all of this!
Cravings: None
Symptoms: At my appointment yesterday, I was 1-2 cm dilated and about 50% effaced. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but it would be really great if Alaina comes early on her own! :) Still having some swelling, a little bit of heartburn, and lots of Braxton Hicks contractions.
Best Moment This Week: Seeing my baby via sonogram and hearing that she looks great! During the sonogram, she was practicing her breathing, which they said is a great sign. My fluid level is good, and Alaina is head down! Thank God, none of the blood pressure issues seem to be bothering her :)
What I'm Looking Forward To: Having Alaina here! I'm so ready to put this pregnancy behind me. This makes me a little sad, because I've had such GREAT, easy pregnancies, so I don't want this one to end on a bad note. I'm still so thankful for the experience of being pregnant. When I was in the hospital last night, I could hear lots of little newborn cries, and I'm so ready to hear my own sweet baby! Also, it will be nice when life returns to normal. Or, at least, I'm ready to figure out our new normal as a family of 5!

2 comments:

Whitney said...

I was thinking of you yesterday and hoping for a good report. Aside from when this started for each of us, there are a lot of similarities. We will have to cheer each other on! Are you on any medicine? I feel like I'm on a ton and would hate to see my numbers without it. You can definitely still be Mommy from the couch, although it's not how I want to do it either. We're the only ones who can care for these babies now. I know you're as thrilled as I am to be 36 weeks and have Alaina at a good weight. We get another weight for Sam Thursday. I'll be praying for you from my spot on the couch.

Genevieve said...

Oh Carrie, I will be thinking of you!! xo