Sunday, October 30, 2011

Week in Review: Home Sweet Home and Fall Festival

We had a nice low-key week. We came home from St. Louis on Sunday, and I think the kids spent the first half of the week catching up on their sleep! Other than that, we had a pretty normal week. Also, I have been doing a terrible job of taking pictures of just our normal days. I need to do a better job because I know these posts are even more boring without pictures!

We were still in St. Louis on Sunday. Jude woke up fairly early and was clearly up for the day, but Aubrey was still sleeping. David went ahead and took Jude downstairs for breakfast so that Aubrey could get a little more sleep. She and I both snoozed for a while longer :) David eventually brought Jude back up to our room so that we could start getting ready for church and pack up. I took a shower and got ready, and then David bathed the kids and I got them dressed while he took a shower and got ready. We kind of got in a big rush because we thought we were running really short on time, but we ended up checking out with a little time to spare. We got to the church we were visiting, and we kept the kids with us instead of putting them in a strange nursery (plus, their noses were still a little runny). I didn't think we'd last long at all in the service, but Jude ended up falling asleep in David's arms, and Aubrey colored and was pretty quiet through the whole service. We left as soon as church was over and stopped at a BBQ place for lunch before we left town. It was so good! We finally got on the road about 2:00. It was a long trip home, but the kids did pretty well. They both took a decent nap at one point. We had to take several bathroom/gas stops, but we did ok. We stopped for dinner at a Zaxby's, and the trip really seemed to drag on and get long after dinner. We finally made it home around 10:00. We put the kids right to bed, and I think they were both glad to be in their own beds! Especially Jude! David unloaded the car and started unloading the suitcase, but I was so tired so I just went to bed.

Monday: Jude woke up around 8. I was hoping he'd sleep a little later since he had missed out on so much sleep over the weekend, but 8 is pretty good, so I really can't complain :) I fed him breakfast and played with him, and then we woke Aubrey up a little after 9. Poor girl was TIRED. She was really sweet and happy when she woke up, and we had a pleasant morning at home. I did tons of laundry. Jude got fussy mid-morning. I knew he should have slept later! We had literally nothing to eat, and I wasn't brave enough to go to the grocery store with Jude so tired and fussy, so we drove through Chick Fil A for lunch. We ate when we got home, and then I put both children down for naps. They both slept for a good long while. Surprisingly, Aubrey slept longer than Jude! I also took a nap while they both slept, and I did some more laundry when I got up. That afternoon, I made a grocery list and got us all ready, and we went to the grocery store. I really prefer to go to the grocery store in the mornings because it's so much less crowded. We managed fine, though, and I unloaded the groceries and cooked tacos for dinner when we got home. Mondays always gets stressful at this point. The kids just get cranky while I'm cooking and then they never seem to eat well, and they make a HUGE mess. I'm usually just ready for bedtime by the time dinner is over. I feel like that's an awful thing to say, but I've accepted the fact that that's just our Mondays. After dinner, I bathed Jude and cleaned up the kitchen. I definitely had to break out the vacuum cleaner for that job! We watched some Dancing with the Stars, and I put Jude to bed. I then gave Aubrey a bath. Jude started crying from his bed, and Aubrey was in the tub, so I was SO happy when David walked in the door :) He took over Aubrey duty, and I went to check on Jude. He went on to sleep after that, and I got on the internet and watched some TV before bed.

Tuesday: I got up and got ready for Bible Study, and the kids were still sleeping. I was able to entirely get ready before the kids woke up. I finally had to wake them up at 9 so that they could eat breakfast and I could get them dressed before we needed to go leave. We were running a little late, but we had a good Bible Study. We are continuing in our Biblical Manhood and Womanhood study, and it's been so interesting. After Bible Study, I picked up the kids, and Rebekkah and I went to lunch at a Mexican restaurant. We had fun! When we got home, I put the kids down for naps. Aubrey didn't sleep that day, and Jude had an awful time getting to sleep. He just took forever, and I had to go up to his room to change a dirty diaper and give him his paci/rock/soothe him several times. He did eventually go to sleep after a couple of hours of just playing. I didn't get a whole lot done that afternoon. In spite of Jude taking forever to fall asleep, it was just a nice afternoon. I went and got Aubrey after Jude went to sleep, and she sat in my lap and we watched some "cooking" (Barefoot Contessa) on TV. David got home about the time Jude woke up, and he got him up. I fixed some pasta pesto for them to eat for dinner and got ready for Book Club. Rebekkah picked me up, and we met at Beagle Bagel for Book Club. We ate dinner, and then we went and sat outside and discussed our book. We had read Olive Kittridge this month. It was actually a pretty depressing book, but I found it very interesting. It was a lot of short stories, so we had a lot to discuss. We ended up staying pretty late, and it was a fun night. When I got home, David and I talked briefly, and he took my 19 week picture, and then we went to bed.

Wednesday: The kids were back to their normal ways and got up at 7:30. We had a very low-key morning. We ate breakfast, Aubrey watched some PBS Kids, I folded several loads of laundry, and Jude played. I straightened up my bedroom a little bit and washed some more laundry. I took a shower and gave Aubrey a bath, and then it was lunchtime. We all ate, and then I bathed Jude. I put the kids down for their naps, and they both went to sleep. I watched an episode of Project Runway, and then Jude woke up crying. He had only been sleeping about an hour and a half, so I tried to get him to go back to sleep, but he never did. I put on makeup and got ready, and then I got Jude dressed. We went to wake Aubrey up, and she was NOT ready to get up. I let her sleep for 10 more minutes and then woke her up again. She still wasn't thrilled, but she got up and I got her dressed. We loaded up in the car and went to tutoring. It went pretty well that day. David was at church by the time it was over, so he watched the kids while my mom and I went and looked upstairs in our storage area at church to make sure we had all the parts we needed for the games for our Fall Festival on Saturday. We made a list of a few things we needed to get, and then we went into the gym and watched the kids play until dinner time. We had poppy seed chicken at church, and then we had a man come talk to us about the Proposition 26 and answer a lot of questions that a lot of people have. It was good to hear what he had to say. I realized about that time that I had locked my keys in my car -- ughh! All my teaching material was locked in my car. David drove home and got the spare key while I taught my class, and I just had to wing it. We went over our catechism questions and some of the verses the kids have memorized, and then they played duck, duck, goose :) David got back to church right after I got the kids from the nursery, and we headed home. We put the kids to bed when we got home, and then I got on the internet and David watched TV.

Thursday: When we got up, we ate breakfast and got ready. We needed to run some errands, so we headed to the mall. We actually got there a few minutes before it opened! I don't think that's ever happened to us before ;) We went to several stores, and I got a few things that I was looking for. When we were leaving, we walked through the food court (bad idea) and I was starving, so we got some food, and I shared it with the kids. We headed home after that. I fed the kids some more lunch when we got home, and then I put them down for their naps. While they slept (well, Jude slept... Aubrey, not so much), I watched some Project Runway and straightened up the house. I also put some spaghetti sauce in the crockpot. When the kids got up, we just hung out at home and played. David got home that evening, and we ate dinner outside :) It was a nice, cool night. The kids played some more after dinner until bedtime. When we got them down, we picked up the toys and cleaned up the kitchen and then relaxed/watched TV/ just hung out until going to bed.

Friday: Aubrey and Jude surprised me by sleeping a little later than usual -- it was almost 8 before they woke up! When we all got up, we got dressed and went over to my parents' house. My dad and brothers were taking the kids to breakfast, and I went to the gym. I had sort of fallen off the exercise wagon the past several weeks :-/ It was good to be back! When I got back to my parents' house, we stayed over there for a while just talking and hanging out. Aubrey was playing with the little girl my mom babysits, so she was having fun. We left in time to get home for lunch. Aubrey and Jude ate lunch, and then I put them down for their naps. It was a dark, cold, rainy day, and I was just SURE Jude would take a great nap, so I was planning to take a nap myself. Sadly, I was mistaken. He took a sweet forever to fall asleep, and when he finally did, he didn't even sleep long. Aubrey was banging around in her room too, so I didn't get much of a nap. When I went to get the kids up, Aubrey had gone into her bathroom and squeezed pretty much an entire tube of [fluoride] toothpaste all over the place. She had then proceeded to wipe it all over her mirror. I asked her if she ate any of the toothpaste (we have stressed that she isn't supposed to swallow that toothpaste), and she said, "I tink so." Ughh. So I made a lovely little call to Poison Control. I, of course, had no way of knowing or even guessing how much she might have swallowed, but they said she should be fine, and they told me to give her milk and just watch her. Thankfully, she was fine and never had any issues :) Needless to say, her bathroom is now locked during night/naptime. David got home shortly after that whole fiasco, and I was pretty happy to see him! He took over child responsibilities while I finished putting my makeup on. That evening, we went to O'Charley's for dinner. I don't know why we even go there. The food is mediocre, and the service is always AWFUL. By the time we get out of there, we are both stressed and swearing we won't go back. Ha! It wasn't THAT bad, and we did have fun just getting out of the house together. We had to stop at Kroger on the way home for me to get stuff to make cupcakes for our fall festival at church the next day. When we got home, we put the kids to bed, and I made my 48 cupcakes and watched some Say Yes to the Dress until bed.

Saturday: I got up relatively early that morning to get ready to go to church to help set up for the fall festival. David stayed home with the kids. There was a small group of us at church setting everything up, but we managed to get it done in a couple of hours. We got all of the games set up in the gym. On my way home, I drove through Chick Fil A, and then went to Wal-Mart to try to find some face paint for Jude. When I got home, the kids were napping. Jude was asleep, but it sounded like Aubrey was rearranging her furniture upstairs. I don't know what that girl does during "naptime." David was watching some TV, and I laid on the couch and ended up dozing off for a little while. When Jude woke up, we got both kids up, and we started getting ready for the fall festival. We got the kids all dressed in their costumes, and they looked so cute! We had a cute little cheerleader and a tiger (Auburn's mascot). How cute are they?! I'll post more pictures from that night soon.

We then headed to church where we ate hotdogs for dinner and then played and had lots of fun! We had an awesome turnout with tons of visitors :) After it was over, we stayed and helped take everything down and clean up. It was pretty late by the time we left, and I was so tired! I felt like I had been standing for HOURS. I'm a wimp ;) When we got home, we put the kids to bed, and then I made a grocery list. I was so tired that David offered to go to the grocery store for me -- he's so sweet! :) While he was gone, I got on the internet. When he got home, I helped him put away some groceries and then we went to bed.

No comments: