Thursday, October 6, 2011

Fallin' it up!

I really don't ever do any major decorating for fall. Actually, I used to not do anything. I just figured I would wait and decorate for Christmas. But over the past few years, I've gotten more into doing a few small things for fall. I still keep it VERY simple. Really, I just see it as a fun way to usher in Christmas and the real decorating :) It is fun to "cozy up" the house a little bit for fall, so that's what I do now.

I just got a few pumpkins, pinecones, and fall leaves for the dining room table. I used the mirror and candles that are always on the table as a centerpiece, and just added to it. I think it turned out simple, but pretty :) I also finally got around to hanging a wreath I made several months ago (actually, I finally got around to asking David to hang it!). The wreath is burlap, which I think is perfect for fall, and I added a few leaves and called it a day!To make the wreath, I just wrapped some burlap around a wreath form:Then I cut more strips of burlap and hot glued a section on to get it started. Next, I just wrapped the burlap around the wreath, lightly twisting it and and gluing as needed to hold it in place. I attempted some little flowers that everyone is making for decoration. Sadly, mine didn't turn out nearly as cute as all the other ones I've seen :( I think the burlap I was using was too heavy a material and it was fraying really badly. Oh well, I think they still look ok. All in all, I like the wreath, and I think it's a nice look for fall. I'll probably make another one for spring :) I also wanted to decorate the mantel for fall. I found this super cute fall printable for free HERE. (Excuse the blurry pictures. I could NOT for the life of me get the camera setting right. Photography class anyone?)The frame kind of cuts some of the letters off, and I could be really OCD about it and let it totally drive me nuts (that was very tempting), but I decided to just let it go. After all, fall decor is pretty temporary, and I think you still get the idea :) I added a few pumpkins, pinecones, and leaves. I also used a mason jar to hold a few fall flowers. The other stuff on the mantle is there year round. I'm happy with the way my [simple] fall mantle turned out! Other than that, we put some pumpkins outside, and I'm going to get some Mums to add to the pumpkins. We also planted some Kale in our urns, and I love it! We've never done Kale before, but I think it's super cute! I just hope we can keep it alive (we have black thumbs - ha).

So, that's our house all ready for fall! This should help tide me over for a little while until it's time to deck the halls for Christmas! So exciting!

3 comments:

"The Mrs." said...

I love your candle holders! Also Kale is a great idea!

Nathalie said...

Looks great! Love the burlap wreath!! I don't decorate for fall either, but this has certainly given me some inspiration!

Courtney said...

Your fall decorations look great!