Thursday, October 27, 2011

Ditzy Mama

I talked about Aubrey potty training a long time ago, and I mentioned that she still wore pull-ups to sleep. At the time, I wasn't concerned about it in the least, and that's still the case. We haven't really even tried to get rid of the pull-ups at night, and it's not something I even think about. That's kind of beside the point, but I wanted to give a little background info for this post :)

Our little nightime routine has always been for David to put Aubrey to bed, and I put Jude to bed. This works well for us; David and Aubrey enjoy their time together before bed every night, and when I was nursing Jude, it just made the most sense for me to put him to bed. Jude usually goes to bed a little earlier than Aubrey, and last week there was a show coming on that David wanted to watch. I told him that he could put Jude to bed, and I would put Aubrey to bed so that he could watch his show sooner. Aubrey and I did her little nightime routine. We brushed teeth, put on pajamas, and read a story. I then put her in bed, prayed with her, and sang a song. I came downstairs, and she went right to sleep, and we never heard a peep out of her.

Until around 3:30AM.

She woke up crying and calling for David. She sounded pretty worked up, and he went to her room to check on her. I noticed that he was gone for a while, but I dozed back off and never thought about it again.

The next morning, when I went to get Aubrey up, the first words out of her mouth when I opened her door were, "Mommy, you forgot to put my pull-up on, and my pants got all wet and I had to change them!" I looked, and sure enough, she had on a different pair of pants than she did when I put her to bed.

I called David to get the full story. Apparently, I did, in fact, forget to put Aubrey's pull-up on. Ummm.... Oops! He said when he got to her room in the middle of the night, she told him the same thing about me forgetting to put her pull-up on, and the funniest part was that she had already gotten up, taken her wet clothes off, put a pull-up on, and put dry pj's on. Ha! It was also funny that her bed barely even got wet. I felt like such an idiot, though! How do you forget to put your child's pull-up on?!

My excuse is that when I put her down for her nap, I always tell her to go put her pull-up on herself while I'm putting Jude to bed. So when I get into her room, she already has the pull-up on, and I just immediately read her a story. Weak excuse? Perhaps. ;) If that one doesn't fly, I'll resort to pregnancy brain!

I'm pretty sure after that little episode, David is going to stick to putting Aubrey to bed himself. Hahaha!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh Carrie, I did the same thing the other day at naptime! I am so ditzy these days. You made me feel so much better. Can't wait to tell Carl that it's not just me.

David Howie said...

The funny thing to me is why did she call me up there in the middle of the night when she had already changed?