Monday, February 22, 2010

My little climber

Yesterday morning I was getting ready for church. Aubrey was in the bathroom with me as I was putting my makeup on. When I started blow drying my hair she left the room -- she is a little afraid of the hair drier. I assumed she was going to find David who was in the kitchen doing dishes. After I finished drying my hair I called out to David and asked if he had his eye on Aubrey. He said he thought she was with me. Um, no. I ran into the living room calling her and noticed the door on the baby gate wasn't latched. I called out to her and heard her. She was standing at the top of the stairs. She was smiling so big and just looked so proud of herself. Because I had the blow drier going and David had the water running in the sink, neither one of us heard her escape through the gate. Thank goodness she is an excellent stair climber and was completely fine after her little adventure. However, she isn't as good at going down the stairs as she is at going up, so I'm SO glad I caught her before she attempted to come back down. That could have been bad. We've taught her to go down the stairs backwards, and that worked well for a while (with very close supervision!). But recently she has decided she is a big girl and she can just walk right down the stairs like Mommy and Daddy, thank you. The only problem is that she can't go down the stairs like us. Anyway, all's well that ends well, and we will now MAKE SURE the door to the gate latches since we have a little climber on our hands.

Speaking of Aubrey, I think we finally are back on track with naptime. I figured out that the problem was that I was putting her down for her nap at the same time everyday even though she doesn't wake up at the same time everyday. So on the days when she woke up early, by the time I put her down for her nap she was overtired and couldn't go to sleep. So now I'm putting her down for her nap about 4 1/2 hours after she wakes up for the day. That means naptime is at a different time everyday. Aubrey has been taking good naps though, so it's worth the inconvenience of never knowing what our schedule for the day will be. Of course, this problem would be solved if she would just wake up at approximately the same time everyday! Ugh, I don't know why she is so inconsistent! She seems to wake up at around the same time everyday for about a week, but when the next week rolls around she has to change it up. Last week she woke up around 8:30 everyday. This week it's looking like the new time is going to be 7:20 :( It better NOT be 6:15 next week! Haha. Is that not so weird that she does that though?

Well, now that this post is sufficiently all over the place, I think I'm done. Oh, in case any of you have a life and have forgotten: tomorrow is THE day! We find out the gender of baby #2! Whoo!!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Evy learned to climb the stairs at Kurt's parents' this weekend! Watch out...

I am BEYOND READY AND EXCITED to find out about this baby! I'm not kidding, I've been thinking about it ALL DAY.