Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Doctors Appointment Update

Today I went to the doctor for a normal checkup. It went well. I must say I was a little nervous going into it. I don't really know why. I'm always nervous when I go to the doctor, but today I was a little more nervous than usual. I think part of it was because my blood pressure tends to be high when I'm at the doctors office. I had never really thought much about it - just chalked it up to being nervous. Well, the last time I had a checkup, my doctor mentioned that it was a little high and said it wasn't a big deal yet, we just needed to keep an eye on it. So I've been checking it at home all month, and I was really hoping she would say it was ok. I've had nightmares of preclampsia. But thank the Lord, she said it looked good today and was right where she would expect it to be. I was really relieved. I guess it is high just from being nervous. Ridiculous!

So... when it came time to listen to the baby's heartbeat, she kept picking my heartbeat up because (like I've already said) I was nervous and it was beating fast and hard. So it was drowning out Aubrey's heartbeat. It was a little scary when she didn't find her heartbeat immediately. She kept telling me to calm down so my heart rate wouldn't be so fast. Thankfully, she found Aubrey's heartbeat after what was probably only 30 seconds but seemed like longer. It was a beautiful sound, and my doctor said she sounded great. Even when she couldn't find the heartbeat right away, I knew in my head that everything was ok because I had just felt Aubrey move. But it's hard to be rational when its your baby!

I told my doctor that I'm a worrier and get paranoid about things. She said when it comes to pregnancy and your baby, "That's called being a mom." She said she knew one lady who was REALLY a worrier. By the time she was 18 weeks along, she had been in to the doctor's office over 30 times! Just to put that into perspective, I'm 22 weeks and have been to the doctor 5 times. That made me feel a little better. :) Gosh, after reading this post, yall are going to think I need to be on anxiety medication!

At my next doctors appointment, I will be tested for gestational diabetes. I'm not looking forward to that! You have to drink this sugary stuff they give you and then have your blood drawn an hour later. Pray that I won't have diabetes please!

2 comments:

Jenny Fleming said...

My blood pressure is ALWAYS high at the doctor's office. I get real nervous too!

KTElltt said...

Carrie, you are so funny! Missy's right -- it's called being a Mom! I worried myself ragged through both pregnancies. There's not a thing you can do about it, and there's not a thing I can do to make you stop. But I'm praying that God will calm you. I hope you pass the 1 hour screen. I failed it with Addie, had to go for the four hour test and it was awful! I didn't even have diabetes after all was said and done... But you look so good, and you don't seem to be swelling or gaining excessive weight. I'd almost put my money on it and say you don't have it, but who knows? Everyone becomes a doctor when they get around a pregnant woman. Guess I'm the same...