Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Our Adoption Story: Part 10 (Conclusion)

It's hard to know how to even wrap this up. Adopting Francie has been one of the most amazing experiences of my life. From start to finish, the Lord has been SO faithful. We can see His hand in everything from first placing the call on our hearts to adopt, to leading us to domestic adoption, to bringing Francie's birthmother into our lives. He was in all of the details of Francie's birth and surgery and recovery.

There were so many things that I was nervous about going into this. I was worried that I wouldn't bond with Francie right away and that I would have to go through the motions for a while. But God gave me an overwhelming maternal love for my little girl the first minute that I saw her.

I was dreading being away from my other children for so long while we were in Baltimore. But God gave me a peace and an assurance that they were being cared for and that I was right where I needed to be.

I was concerned that I would hate living in the Children's House and miss my home and my privacy. But God provided such a sweet feeling of community in that place, and He opened my eyes to what a wonderful ministry these houses are for families in need. I can't imagine going through something like that again and not staying there.

I was nervous that I would feel so alone and isolated in a city where I knew no one and was away from my support group during such a pivotal time in my life. But God was there, and I felt His presence and His peace. David and I both felt so loved and supported from afar by our friends and family.

I was scared for my baby going into such a major surgery. I was fearful that there would be complications and setbacks and that something would happen to Francie. But God, our Great Physician, took care of our little girl, and there were no complications. Francie's recovery couldn't have gone any better, and the Lord even gave us the sweet gift of less time in traction than we expected.

Since arriving at home with Francie, we've been doing really well. It's been wonderful to be able to introduce her to so many people who have loved us so well and been so faithful to pray for her long before she even existed. Right now, Francie is a very typical infant. She eats well, she sleeps (like a newborn ;)), and we change her diapers just like any baby. The biggest issue that we've dealt with since being home is reflux, and it's not lost on me what an enormous blessing that is. I'm sure there will be hard days to come. Francie will most likely require more surgery down the road for her bladder exstrophy. I'm sure there will be days when I feel overwhelmed and totally inadequate for this job. Days where I cry and feel alone and worried sick. But I hope during those times that I will remember back to the beginning of Francie's life and how the Lord brought us through those hard days. He has always been faithful to us, and I can rest assured that He always will. He has given us the GREAT privilege and joy of being Francie's parents, and He will equip us for that job. Because the fact of the matter is that I AM inadequate for this task. I just cannot do it on my own. I can't parent any of my children well in my own strength. But God has blessed me with this role, and His grace is sufficient.

It is our prayer that Francie's life points people to Jesus. Her life has value because she is created in the image of God. She is precious to Him, and she is precious to us. It is our absolute HONOR to be Francie's family.

I have loved sharing our adoption story on the blog. I'm sure there will be MANY more Francie posts to come, but they won't really focus on adoption so much as just being Francie's mom. We are SO GLAD that the Lord called us to adopt. It has truly been a very worshipful experience for us. But we're also really glad to be on the other side of this adoption and to have our sweet baby HOME! :)

"Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen." Ephesians 3:20-21

No comments: