Tuesday, December 23, 2014

A Merry December!

Our Christmas season was a little different this year with a brand new baby at home. We didn't get Francie out until she got her shots, so we spent a lot of time at home. This is not normally my favorite past time, but I've learned a lot about being content with a slower pace in this season.
As soon as we got home from Baltimore, I was dying to get my Christmas decorations up. I normally wait until after Thanksgiving, but this year I just didn't want to wait. It was so fun to be able to decorate our new house for Christmas for the first time! My decorations were put up a bit hurriedly, so they probably aren't the best they've ever been, but our house has felt so warm and cozy, and after such a crazy 6 weeks, I've just been SO thankful for our home. Putting up our 4 stockings was such a sweet, sentimental moment for me. Last year I bought new stockings, and I went ahead and got an extra one and prayed that we would have a reason to use it this year. Francie didn't even exist this time last year, but our sovereign God knew that He would bring her into our family and that I would indeed have a VERY special reason to use that stocking this Christmas. So amazing.
We hosted Thanksgiving at our house, and it was a great day to just be at home with our families. This year more than ever, we tangibly realized how much we have to be thankful for!
December is always such a fun month! We did way less than usual this year, but we definitely squeezed in some fun! Aubrey and I went to The Nutcracker ballet, we rode around and looked at Christmas lights, I had a fun little bunco ornament exchange one night, the kids had their Christmas parties at school, two of my sweet friends hosted a little sip and see one Sunday afternoon for our church family to come and meet Francie for the first time, and David and I celebrated 8 years of marriage!
Our anniversary night wasn't very glamorous.... we hung out at home with our 4 kiddos (it's still crazy for me to say FOUR kids!), but we wouldn't have it any other way :) We were able to get away for a little date the Saturday before our anniversary. My mom and grandmother came over to babysit (because apparently it takes two adults to sufficiently watch our crew now... hahaha!) and David and I went to lunch and to a movie. I always love dates with my hubby!

Oh. and in the midst of all of that, we decided to potty train Alaina. Because why not? Haha! She's done great, and I'm so glad to have one less child to diaper. ;)
Our Christmas season hasn't been ALL fun and games, though. We were hit with the stomach bug last week. David, Aubrey, and Alaina got it. I think I also had a really mild case. Mercifully, it was short lived, but that's never fun. I'm super thankful that Francie and Jude were spared!

There were also long days mixed in with the wonderful ones. Having a newborn is just exhausting, whether it's your first or your tenth, I'd imagine. Some people handle the sleepless nights with grace, but I'm afraid that I don't always fall into that category. I'm so happy to say that Francie has been sleeping a lot better lately. She usually only wakes up once a night to eat, and then David takes her early morning feeding so that I can sleep (one HUGE perk of formula!). It's also been a big adjustment to be stuck at home so much, and the kids tend to be at each others throats after too much time at home. BUT, even on days where I feel like I'm running on fumes, I'm covered in spit up, my house looks like a war zone, and my kids have been fighting like cats and dogs all day, I'm SO thankful to be these children's mama. Now, maybe in January we'll be more into our groove, we'll find a routine and I might actually feel like a GOOD mama some days.... ha! ;)
We need lots of coffee to get us through these newborn days. Haha!
I can't believe how fast the time has flown and that we're now on the cusp of Christmas! We can't wait to celebrate our Savior with those we love! 

No comments: