Friday, July 11, 2014

A Lot of Nothing

I've learned that once you get out of the habit of blogging, it's kind of hard to just jump back in. Several days this week, I've had the time to blog, and I've wanted to blog, but I just haven't been able to think of anything to post. Haha! So, that's still the case... I'm just basically blogging about nothing with some cute pictures of my kids sprinkled in for good measure. I need to come up with some ideas.
We are having a great summer! I'm really not ready for it to end anytime soon. David took a break from Monday night karate this summer, and that's been SO nice. Having him home an extra night every week has made our weekday evenings so pleasant. We have such a nice routine that I'm loving. I cook dinner and then we eat outside every night. We have a screened porch at our new house, but we haven't used it so far. We just eat out on our deck. After dinner, I go on a walk while David bathes the kids and gets them ready for bed. I feel like this is the first time in my life that I'm actually enjoying some form of exercise. Haha! I'm going to be sad when it starts getting dark at 5:00. Maybe I'll turn into a morning person and get my exercise before David goes to work? Doubtful. ;)
Anyway, I feel like we are just in such a nice little groove right now, and I'm treasuring this time with my family. As everyone knows, we are hoping to adopt soon, so I often think that I should savor this summer with my little family of 5. It is our prayer that we'll be a family of 6 this time next year. And I know I'll savor those days as well! :)
You know what other habit is hard to resume once you fall off the wagon? EATING HEALTHY. Ughh, I need a sugar detox like crazy. When I was at the beach two times in the past month, I didn't really worry about what I was eating. And I don't regret that. But since sugar is addictive, once you start.... whew, it's HARD to stop. And usually we just don't have sugary stuff in the house, so that's not a huge temptation for me. Lately I've had to cook for several functions, though, which has left me with extra cookies and coffee cake sitting around my house. And if it's in the house, I'm GOING to eat it. I can just tell such a difference in how I feel when I'm not eating well.
So, it's time to get back on track in the food department. (And by the way, this isn't a weight thing for me. It's just a lifestyle that I've chosen for myself and my family. I feel like I have to say that because I've learned that when I talk about needing/wanting to eat healthy, people often respond with, "but you don't need to loose any weight!" While that's sweet and I appreciate the kind words, I think what I put into my body is important no matter what I weigh.) I would love to do another cleanse. David and I did one last year (and I never blogged part 2... I really should do that because that was the interesting part to me), and I loved the way I felt while I did it. I didn't enjoy the process. It was HARD. We do eat "clean" for the most part, but we eat whole grains and dairy in moderation in our everyday life. On the cleanse, there were no grains, no dairy, no beans, no corn, no sugar, no caffeine, no processed anything... and probably a bunch of other stuff that I'm forgetting. Basically, we ate fruits, vegetables, and a little bit of lean meat. I didn't even realize before the cleanse how hard it would be to NEVER be able to "cheat" and eat whatever I wanted to eat. We were really strict when we were on the cleanse and didn't allow ourselves any cheats that I remember. It was really hard and really good at the same time. Anyway, I'd love to do that again, but it was expensive and we're trying not to spend a lot of unnecessary money right now. So, I'm thinking about maybe trying The Whole 30. I think it's really similar to the cleanse that we did as far as what is off limits, it just won't include any of the supplements that we took. But I think it might be the jumpstart that I need to get back on track. I'm dreading it, though. Ha!
Maybe I'll think of some blog topics for next week..... at least I hope so. I don't want to have to do another rambly post like this again soon. ;)

No comments: