Thursday, March 6, 2014

Neutralizin' The Living Room

This is totally random, but I snapped some pictures of our living room the other day when it was semi clean, and I wanted to post them. Our living room has evolved SO much over the past couple of years. It's now pretty much completely neutral. I am, and will probably always be, a lover of color. I don't expect this neutral phase to be a "forever" thing. I just wanted to give it a try and see if I liked it. And I do. It's calming, and that's something I can definitely appreciate at this stage in my life :)
I got a new rug in this room recently. I actually love it. It's so soft, which is perfect for this space because we spend almost all of our time in this room. I also really like the way it looks. But it won't be staying in the living room. It is IMPOSSIBLE to vacuum. I mean, it's almost comical. The first time I tried to vacuum it, I literally could not make the vacuum cleaner budge. It just sucked onto the rug and would. not. move. I called in reinforcements (David), and he had THE hardest time trying to vacuum too. I have no idea why it does this. I guess it's just too plush for our vacuum cleaner? I have discovered that if I just pull the vacuum cleaner over the rug (as opposed to pushing it), I can actually make it move and get the rug semi clean. But I really need to be able to quickly vacuum my living room rug everyday. I think it goes without saying that a white rug in a family area where three young kids live that's impossible to vacuum is not going to work. At all. So... when we move, my plan is to move this rug into our bedroom. It won't get nearly as much traffic under the bed, and therefore won't need to be vacuumed as often. I'll be on the lookout for a new (PRACTICAL) rug for the living room ;)
It will be interesting to see how our main living area in our new house comes together. Obviously, we'll have all of the same stuff in there, but it will look different simply because it's a different house. I'm curious to see if I still love the neutral pallet when we're in a different house, or if I start craving more color. The great thing about having all of our big pieces neutral is that I can easily add in more color when I feel the need. I'm excited to see how our new house comes together, but I know I'll miss this one! 

3 comments:

Sarah Denley said...

I love the rug! The room does look so calm and clean.

Ashley said...

So so pretty!! I love when you post house pictures since I can't see it in person :( And I'm also just obsessed with people's house pictures….. :) I miss you!

Courtney said...

It is a beautiful room. I love looking at neutral pallets, but my home is full of color.