Monday, February 3, 2014

An Eventful Week

I'm taking little break from our Disney recaps to blog about our busy week last week! When we got home from Disney World last Saturday, I was sad that our vacation was over but looking forward to getting back into our normal routine and hopefully getting a bit of rest! (Did I mention that Disney wore us out? HA!) Well, neither of those things happened. Our week ended up not being "normal" at all, partly because it snowed one day and shut everything down for a couple of days, and partly because we had a lot of house showings. And got an offer. And made an offer on another house.

Yes, after eight months on the market, we finally got an offer on our house! Long story short: it was a lowball offer, and at first we were doubtful that we would be able to reach an agreement. After spending half the week negotiating and countering and countering some more, we did finally reach an agreement. In the midst of countering back and forth with these people, we also had other people looking at our house who were supposedly very interested. They had to sell a house first, though, so they didn't end up making an offer when they heard that we had already received an offer without a contingency. It was exciting to have so much interest, but four showings in a week was hard. (They were all on different days, which meant that I basically had to start over in the cleaning department every time.)

In the meantime, there was a house listed in the middle of last week that we were very interested to see. We had actually already looked at this house multiple times months ago, but it has since been sold, redone, and relisted. (It's ironic because this is literally the first house that we looked at before we even put our house on the market... if we do end up moving into this house, I'll have to blog more about that.) We had an appointment to go look at the house on Friday, but we found out on our way there that someone else had made an offer that day. So, if we were interested, we were going to have to make a very strong offer that day. This was a bit stressful because we hated to have to make a rushed decision, especially on something as major as a house purchase. When we got there, though, we really liked the house and felt like it would be a great fit for our family, and we love the street and the location. So we went ahead and made an aggressive offer. The scary part was that we couldn't make the offer contingent on selling our house since they already had another strong offer.

Since we were able to come to an agreement with the people who made the offer on our house, it is officially under contract! And we found out that we did get the house that we loved! We are extremely thankful for both of those things!! At this point, though, I'd say that we are very "cautiously optimistic." We know that nothing is official until closing when it comes to selling a house. There are many things that can come up to cause contracts to fall through. Our next big hurdle is to get through the home inspections (on both houses!). They should happen later this week. Please pray that both of those are good!!

It's a weird feeling to finally get something that we've been praying for for so long. I'm so happy, but I'm also just anxious that something is going to go wrong. I don't want to worry for the next month, so I'm constantly reminding myself that God has been sovereign over every last detail of this whole process and He will continue to be sovereign over every detail. That doesn't mean that something won't fall through, but it means that if it does, I can have a total peace about it. He has been faithful, and He will always be faithful!!

So, that's where we are as of now. Just waiting for the home inspections and praying that the days of showings are behind us! :)


Nathalie said...

Congratulations!! How exciting. I hope everything works out for you and your family! Looking forward to hearing about your new home.

I know exactly what you mean about cautious optimism -- we've been feeling it since our offer at the end of December. We'll (hopefully) be able to breathe a sigh of relief in a couple of weeks!

Christi said...


Whitney said...

Wonderful news! Praying that everything works out so that I can read all about (and see) the new house!

Jennifer said...

Yay!!! So exciting! I hope it all works out. God's timing is always perfect and I know you will feel better about everything in a few months.

Courtney said...

Wow it has been a crazy week for you guys. Congratulations!