Thursday, September 6, 2012

Random Ramblings: School Edition

Wow.... this week has been a bit crazy. Aubrey starts school on Monday, and we're having her fourth birthday party on Saturday. I've already told David to never let me plan a party for the weekend before school starts again. EVER. I feel like I've been running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to take care of last minute school stuff (because I do everything last minute, remember?), so her party hasn't really gotten planned. I mean, I've picked a theme and sent out invitations, but that's about it. I really wanted to go all out with this party because she's old enough to really understand and enjoy birthdays, but I just don't think that's going to happen this year. And I'm telling myself that that's really ok. Several of Aubrey's favorite little friends will be at the party, our family will be there, and there will be sugar. That's all that matters to Aubrey ;) Ha!

We had "Meet the Teacher Night" at Aubrey's school tonight, and it was.... umm, crazy. There were just a LOT of people crowded into a small room. Children were being loud. We couldn't really hear what was going on. It was HOT. But we met the teachers, they were sweet, and I'm hopeful that Aubrey is going to have a great year. I just honestly don't have a clue how she's going to react to the whole school thing. We've talked to her about it a LOT, and she's SO excited about going. She's going to be taking ballet there, and she loves her ballet outfit. She just gets so excited when we talk about it. But every time we've been to the school with her (which is only a couple of times), she totally clams up and refuses to really talk to anyone. We told her on the way tonight that it was ok if she felt shy, but that she had to be respectful and not do her "mean face." She didn't do the mean face, but she wouldn't really look at the teachers when they talked to her. She kind of mumbled her name a few times and hid her face in our shoulders or legs. I'm sure that's completely normal for children who are starting school for the fist time, and I think she will come out of her shell. I just hope it's sooner rather than later, and I hope she is polite even when she's feeling shy :-/

I am starting to get a little sad about Aubrey starting school..... I'm so happy for her, and I think this school situation is really the perfect option for our family right now. I have a total peace that we're doing the right thing in sending her there. I guess I'm just sad that my days of having her home full-time are quickly coming to a close. I've had her at home with me everyday for almost four (!!!) years, and I have loved every singe one of those years. (Notice I didn't say every single one of those days... haha!) So, yes, I'm a little sad about sending her off for two days a week. I'm focusing on the fact that she'll be at home more than she's at school, though. I love that about this school. I'm excited to get started with our homeschooling the three days that she's at home!

I think that's enough for now. I'm not thinking too much about watching my little girl walk into school for the first time right now. Now, we're focusing on this weekend and celebrating our birthday girl :) There will be plenty of time for the bittersweet first day of school feelings next week. And I'm sure I'll be blogging about that more, too ;)

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

You have lots going on as usual! I love that you said that you have loved every single one of those years. We are having that kinda week around here. Happy Birthday, Audrey! I remember when she turned 1 and it seemed like she was SO much older than Evie. It's amazing how much difference my perspective has changed.