Monday, November 7, 2011

Week in Review: Sickness Strikes AGAIN!

Our week was pretty boring, and unfortunately, it ended in MORE sickness! We have been sick so much this fall, and it's really getting old! I'm trying so hard to keep it in perspective, because we're dealing with very minor issues. But I'm just tired after several nights of disrupted sleep, and staying home with fussy kids who don't feel well can be challenging. BUT, I think we're on the mend, and maybe we will have a well spell after this? We can only hope and pray that we do!

We went to church and Sunday School that morning. We came home to eat white chili soup for lunch after church, and then I made a cream cheese spread for some finger sandwiches I was taking to church that night. The kids and I took a nap that afternoon. We went back to church that evening, and we had a joint Reformation service with our sister church. After the service, we had a reception in the Fellowship Hall. It was really fun, and it was nice to see old friends who I hadn't seen in a long time. When we got home, we put the kids to bed, and I watched some TV and blogged. Jude had a bit of a rough night. He kept waking up off and on, and I gave him Tylenol, but it didn't really seem to help. Finally at 3:30, David went to his room and swabbed his gums with some teething medicine we got from the pediatrician. He slept soundly the rest of the night, we figured he was definitely teething.

Monday: Even after a rough night, Jude was still up at 7. I was pretty tired since I didn't get a solid night of sleep. Sweet little man in his PJ's! Even when he has a rough night and gets me up earlier than I would like, I can't help but forgive him! :)

We were supposed to have our storm shelter installed that morning, so David had stayed home from work to oversee that. He was planning on working that afternoon, but then they called and said they wouldn't be at our house until 11. It was too late to be worth it for him to go to work and then come back at that point, so that was frustrating for him. Aubrey ended up sleeping pretty late, and I was able to be very productive since David was home that morning. He did go outside for a while and do some work in the yard, but when he got back in, we did a lot of de-cluttering. I also switched out my summer shoes for my winter ones. My winter shoes had been sitting in our bedroom floor for weeks, so it was NICE to get them picked up. I then did lots of laundry and cleaned the bathrooms. We gave the kids lunch, and I put Jude down for a nap. The storm shelter people FINALLY arrived around 1. Ugh. More pictures of our little shelter coming soon! ;)

I put Aubrey down for her nap right about that time, and then I went to the grocery store and just put the monitor outside with David. It was nice to be able to grocery shop without the kids! When I got home, I unloaded and put away the groceries. David had gotten Aubrey up, because apparently she heard all the noise in the backyard and started knocking on her window. Haha!I put dinner in the crockpot, and I folded more laundry. Jude took a nice long nap, thankfully. He wasn't in the best mood when he woke up, though :( That afternoon as soon as the storm shelter was installed, David had to rush off to teach karate for my dad's ministry (he volunteers twice a week teaching karate). I thought my evening alone with the kids would be better than usual since David had been home all day, but I've decided that evenings are just hard by yourself, regardless of how the day has been. At least that's the case for me. The kids and I played for a while, and then we ate beef and broccoli and brown rice for dinner. Jude ate pretty well before everything started hitting the floor. After dinner, we watched Dancing with the Stars. The evening went downhill from there. Aubrey pushed Jude over at one point, and it really did hurt him. I was so upset and ended up sending her to sit in another room while I cooled off. I talked to her and she got in trouble, but that was just so frustrating. It took Jude a while to calm down from that. I gave him a bath that evening, and he was just so fussy. I was ready to put him to bed! Unfortunately, he had a ROUGH time going to sleep. He usually goes to sleep so easily, so I didn't know what was going on. He was fine as long as I was in the room, but the minute I would walk out, he would get so upset. Aubrey needed a bath, but I couldn't put her in the tub as long as I kept having to go up to Jude's room. Finally, David got home and bathed Aubrey. I ended up giving Jude Tylenol again and rocking him, and he went to sleep after that. David put Aubrey to bed, and the house was finally quiet! David and I talked while he ate dinner, and then I enjoyed the quiet until I went to bed.

Tuesday: Jude and I got up early and got ready for Bible Study. Aubrey slept until 9, so I was kind of rushed getting her ready, but we made it. We had a good Bible Study, although there was less discussion than some of the past weeks. Sadly, Rebekkah couldn't make it that day, so we didn't get to go to lunch afterwards. The kids and I came home to eat lunch, and then I put them down for their naps. I put some meat in the crockpot for dinner, and then I rested while the kids were in their rooms. Jude took FOREVER to fall asleep. Like, two hours. He was talking and fussing, and I'd go to his room and he would be quiet for a minute and then start back. And everytime he got quiet, I would hear a big bang from Aubrey's room, and he'd start making noise again. I went to her room several times to tell her to be quiet, and I finally just told her she had to stay in bed since she couldn't be quiet. She ended up going to sleep, and Jude finally did too, but I just felt like a terrible mom after that whole experience. I didn't feel bad for telling Aubrey she had to get in bed since she wasn't obeying, but I just felt like I was too snappy and impatient with her. And really, Jude taking forever to fall asleep isn't the end of the world, and it's not worth getting frustrated about. Then I read a blog post that Sarah Denley had linked to (I was going to link to it, but for some reason it wouldn't go to the post), and I cried I felt so bad for not just being thankful for my kids and their health. Anyway, Jude woke up, and David got home, and then I went to get Aubrey up. I had a talk with her and told her I was sorry for snapping at her, and of course she still loved me :) Everything is better when Daddy gets home!

David took the kids outside to play while I finished dinner. We had beef sandwiches and sweet potato fries. We had a nice dinner together, and then I put Jude to bed and watched some TV. I flipped back and forth between the Dancing with the Stars results show and 19 Kids and Counting. Then I watched some of The Little Couple. Haha! It ended up being a nice relaxing evening after a stressful afternoon.

Wednesday: That morning after we ate breakfast and got dressed, I took Aubrey and Jude to my parents' house and went to the gym. I walked on the treadmill and did a few weights and then I went to some consignment stores around my parents' house looking for some shoes for Jude, but I didn't find any. I went to pick the kids up, and my grandmother had gone to my parents' house to see the kids, so I stayed for a little while. We came home when it was getting time for lunch. Aubrey and I tried SO hard to keep Jude awake on the ride home, but we just couldn't. When I got him out of the car, he was OUT, so I decided to just transfer him to his bed. I never do that because I'm always worried about not changing his diaper or not feeding him lunch, but I decided at that point, he clearly needed sleep more. I fixed lunch for Aubrey and myself, and then I gave her a bath and put her in her room for naptime. I was about to get in the shower when Jude woke up. He had been sleeping for about an hour and a half, so I got him up and fed him lunch. That made it pretty late by the time I took a shower, and we were really rushed getting ready for tutoring. Jude was really fussy, which didn't help. We got to church and were actually the first ones there for tutoring! Haha. Tutoring went fine that day, and I got the kids from the nursery when it was over. David was at church, so we talked while the kids played in the gym. Jude was SUPER fussy. We thought it was just from teething, but I started to worry it was something more. We ate dinner at church, and Jude was just UNhappy. We decided not to put him in the nursery just in case he was coming down with something. We were going to just leave church early, but David had to help with the sound for a little while, so I just hung out in the gym with the kids and my parents. When David finished, we went home, and it was a little earlier than we usually leave. (I didn't have to teach that night because we were having a special program.) We each put a child to bed, and then David watched TV and I got on the internet. Jude woke up several times, and we were in for a LONG night. He started running fever, and his nose got really snotty. He was up many, many times :(

Thursday: When Jude woke up, his temperature was 101.8, so I decided to take him to the doctor to have his ears checked. We got ready really quickly and made it to our appointment. Our regular pediatrician doesn't work on Thursdays, so we had to see someone else. Jude's ears were fine, but the doctor said he was coming down with the same "bronchial infection" that he just had a few weeks ago, and he would probably need breathing treatments again :( Bummer! After we left the doctor, we ran in Kroger to get some Advil for Jude's fever. I got a few other things too, and then we came home. I fixed us some soup for lunch, and then I looked in our Kroger bag for the medicine, and it wasn't in there! I looked all in the car and it was nowhere to be found, even though I did pay for it. I was SO MAD. I got the kids out in the cold for medicine, and then we didn't even make it home with it! Ughh. I gave Jude Tylenol instead and put him to bed. I then put Aubrey down for a nap, and she just played. Jude didn't take a good nap, unfortunately. He just couldn't breathe, and I ended up rocking him back to sleep several times before I just gave up and naptime was over. David and I had already committed to babysit overnight that night and Friday night before Jude was sick, and I knew we couldn't back out at the last minute. We decided he would stay home with Jude, and Aubrey and I would still go. So, I got our stuff together, and we stopped at Target on the way to meet David to get MORE Advil :/ We met David at church, and he took Jude home. The family I was staying with came to the church, because their house was being shown. They have two teenage daughters who literally did everything for the other kids; the parents just wanted an adult at their house overnight. We hung out at church until we could go back to their house, and then we ate dinner. The girls put the little kids to bed, and then we stayed up for a while. When it was time for Aubrey to go to bed, I decided to just go to bed too since she was sleeping with me. It was really early, but I was tired after a long night the night before.

Friday: I got up that morning and called to check on David and Jude. He said Jude was up a lot in the night, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been. When Aubrey woke up, we left to go back home to take care of Jude for the day. We met David at Walgreens and then the kids and I went home, and David went to work. We just hung out at home all day and had a very uneventful day. After lunch, I put Jude down for his nap, and, once again, he didn't sleep well. I ended up just laying on the guest bedroom bed for a while and going into his room every few minutes when he cried out. I got tired of walking up and down the stairs. Of course, Aubrey didn't sleep either. When naptime was clearly going nowhere, I got the kids up, and we hung out at home some more. I packed up my stuff for that night and got ready. I also did several breathing treatments for Jude. This little guy LOVES his cell phone! :) Also, how grown up does he look in these pictures?! He was drooling LIKE CRAZY, which is the reason for the bib, by the way.

When David got home, we talked for a few minutes, and then I needed to leave again. We decided that Aubrey would stay home with him and Jude that night since she hadn't seen him much over the past few days. She had been saying she missed him all day. I headed back over to babysit (I feel weird calling it that since really all I did was sleep at their house!), and the girls had made homemade pizza for dinner. It was so good! We ate, and then one of the girls and I went on a walk while the other sister put the kids to bed. When we got back, we talked some and then we watched How to Loose a Guy in 10 Days. Really, I felt like I was on vacation. Poor David! Haha. We talked for a while after the movie was over, and then I went to bed and got a nice solid night of sleep. Meanwhile, David wasn't faring so well. Apparently Jude was up from 2-4:30 AM solid. Crazy!

Saturday: When I woke up, I ate breakfast and stayed for a little while, and then I came home to help David with our own kids! They were happy to see me :) They were playing outside when I got home, so we stayed outside, and David and I talked while the kids played. It was nice to catch up! When we came back in, we fed the kids lunch, and then David gave Jude a breathing treatment and put him down for his nap, and Aubrey and I drove through Wendy's. She is wearing my shirt as a dress and my scarf as a headband. She recently discovered my closet, and she goes in there and changes 12 times a day if I'm not watching closely! Good thing none of those clothes fit me anyway, or I would never have anything clean!

When we got home, I put Aubrey down for her nap. While the kids rested, I took a shower, and then David and I read. When they got up, David went upstairs to get them and took them outside again. I got dressed and put on makeup, and then we left the house. We needed to get out! We went to an antique mall and looked around. Then we went to an outdoor mall and just walked around. The weather was beautiful! We went to Pizza Inn for dinner, and then we came home and bathed the kids. We bathed them together, and that was the first time we've done that! Aubrey loved it! We then put them to bed. I got on the internet while David watched some TV, and then we went to bed.

No comments: