Saturday, September 25, 2010

Week in Review: Daddy's Girl!

This was a long, not-so-great week. Aubrey was sick, so that meant we were pretty much home all week. Plus, David had several things going on this week that meant he was busier than usual and unable to help me as much as he usually does. So, we aren't overly sad to see this week come to an end. However, even in the middle of my worst weeks (which this week definitely was not) I know I'm still extremely blessed!

Sunday: We went to church. This was Jude's first time in the nursery, and he did great! It worked out well that he went to the nursery, because David was doing the sound, so I got to sit up front with my family instead of sitting in the back by myself :) I fed Jude between church and Sunday School. We went home and ate chili after church. It was still blazing hot outside, but we were pretending it was fall by eating fall appropriate food! Ha! I took a nap that afternoon, but it was cut short. David had to go to the airport to pick up his parents, and literally 2 minutes after he left, Aubrey woke up :( Oh well! When David got back home, we got ready and went back to church. We grabbed a quick dinner at McAlister's on the way home. By his point, Aubrey's nose was starting to run, so I figured we might be spending some extra time at home this week. Thankfully, in spite of her runny rose, Aubrey still slept ok.

Monday: We were supposed to go over to a friend's house from church for a play date that morning, but Aubrey woke up early with a yucky nose and in an AWFUL mood, so we had to cancel :( Aubrey didn't want anything except David that morning. She cried and screamed for him the whole time he was in the shower. NOTHING I tried made her happy. Finally, I just let her stand at the door and scream. It was pitiful and sad, but what can you do? When David left to go to work, it just broke her heart. I know it makes him sad too when she is standing at the door crying for him when he leaves. I knew at that point it was going to be a long day/week. Aubrey got over crying for David pretty quickly, and she was in an ok mood the rest of the morning. She was just VERY fragile all day. One minute she was laughing and playing and the next minute she was having a meltdown. I was pretty happy when naptime finally rolled around. I was SO tired myself, so I was planning on taking a nap too. Sadly, Aubrey could never go to sleep because she was coughing so bad. I couldn't sleep either. Every time I would start to doze off, I would hear her cough. After about 15 minutes, I gave up. Aubrey gave up on trying to sleep after probably 30-45 minutes. Poor baby really was tired, but that awful cough just wouldn't let her sleep. Thankfully, Jude was able to sleep just fine. Of course, as soon as I got Aubrey out of bed and she was upright, she quit coughing. The lack of a nap didn't do anything to improve her mood. David wasn't coming home after work -- he was going to church to teach karate. I loaded the kids up and went to church to get us out of that house! We went to Target during karate. When we got home that night, I handed the kids over to David gladly and went running with Rebekkah. We are doing the Couch to 5K program, and we were on Week 2 Day 2, and, for some reason, it kicked my butt that night! It was definitely the hardest it's been so far that night. I went to bed shortly after I got home.

Tuesday: This day started out pretty much the exact same as the day before. Aubrey woke up early, snotty, grumpy, and wanting Daddy. I LOVE that she is a Daddy's girl these days -- I think it's precious, and it's definitely something I encourage. However, after a couple of days of her screaming for him and not wanting anything to do with me first thing in the morning, I was starting to feel like chopped liver. Ha! I know I'm not the most cheerful person in the morning, but come on! =) Once again, she got over the screaming not long after David left. I wanted to go to Bible Study SO bad -- I felt like I needed it that day -- but Aubrey was still too snotty to go in the nursery, so we stayed home. That day was just more of the same. The highlight of the day was naptime! Ha! Am I awful for saying that?! Aubrey was able to sleep that day -- whoo! I didn't even attempt a nap for myself though. I just enjoyed the quiet. Aubrey slept for a good long while, but she woke up M-A-D. She was crying for David again. Then when I started nursing Jude, she decided she wanted me to hold her immediately. I tried to get her to sit on the couch beside me, and I tried cuddling with her while I fed him, but she was having NONE of it. She probably cried/whined for 45 minutes straight. It took a lot not to just scream. This is NOT normal for Aubrey -- she is usually an extremely happy, fun child -- so I knew she just didn't feel well. I tired really hard to be patient and loving with her. Then all of a sudden, she just totally turned off the tears and snapped out of it. For as long as she had cried for David, when he got home she didn't want that much to do with him. She was just MOODY this week!! She did end up playing and having fun with David for a while before he had to leave to go to a meeting at church :( We were both sad to see him go. Thankfully though, there were no tears shed when he left (from either of us - ha!). After the day I had, I needed some reinforcements that night! My dad had a meeting too, so my mom and brothers came over to hang out and brought dinner. I desperately wanted to get out of the house, so after dinner, I took Jude and went to Stein Mart and Target. When I got home, I put Aubrey to bed while my mom held Jude, and then they left. David got home a little later.

Wednesday: Once again, Aubrey woke up early. David was walking the dog when she woke up, so I went up to get her. When I walked in her room, she said she wanted Daddy. I told her he wasn't home, and I tried to get her out of her bed. She said, "No, Mommy." I said, "Fine!" and left her in her room. I went and laid on the couch until David got home, and he went up and got Aubrey. Good thing I don't get my feelings hurt TOO easily. Haha. It would hurt my feeling, except I know that she does love me. Besides, she has been a total mama's girl for most of her life, so I figure it's David's turn. Plus, Jude still loves me best for now ;) Haha! Anyway, she started to get upset when David went to take a shower, but I was able to distract her with books. She ended up not even crying when he left for work. Yay! I could tell she was feeling better that day. She was in a better mood and way less snotty than she had been. We had a more pleasant day, but we were still at home all day. Aubrey took a good nap. I decided that Aubrey was well enough to go to church that night as long as we didn't put her in the nursery. It was SO nice to get out of the house and go to church. My parents watched Aubrey to give me a break. They took her onto the playground and she had a blast. When we got home, David put Aubrey to bed and I fed Jude. I then met Rebekkah to run. This was the last day of Week 2 and I was nervous about how it would go since the other night had been so hard. It was actually much easier for me that night! Rebekkah said it was harder for her that night, so I guess everyone just has "off" nights. It helps SO much to have a partner to run with who isn't having an off night the same night as you! Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have lasted this long. (Although, I know we still have a LONG way to go!)

Thursday: Aubrey slept until 9!! After the rough mornings we had had all week, that was so so nice! We were both in better moods! :) We got ready that morning because we were finally getting out of the house. We were having lunch with Rebekkah and Carver at Beagle Bagel. Rebekkah and I needed to discuss a wedding we were coordinating at our church Saturday. (Rebekkah is now the wedding coordinator at our church, and I'm her assistant. She says I'm her co-director, but I definitely say assistant! Ha.) Anyway, we had a good, fun lunch. Aubrey is just in love with Carver. We looked over one time and Aubrey was sucking on his finger. Haha! We told her that was not allowed until they get married :) After lunch, we came home and attempted nap time. Aubrey and Jude both decided they would pass on a nap that day. Aubrey did stay in her bed for about an hour and a half just talking, so I did get a little break. It got too late for her to go to sleep though, so I finally went and got her. David was going straight to church after work again, so we went early like we did on Monday. Aubrey, Jude, and I played in the nursery for a while while my mom was busy tutoring, and Aubrey was surprisingly happy considering she didn't take a nap. When my mom was free, we went to this store called Half of Half. They had TONS of stuff -- I got 3 shirts for me and 2 pairs of pajamas for Aubrey for $24! A lot of their stuff has holes or tears in it, so you kind of have to inspect everything. I could have found a lot more, but Jude was starting to have a meltdown, and Aubrey was eating the tag off of a pair of her pajamas, so we figured we probably should head on out ;) When we got back to church, David drove my car home with the kids and I took his. We ate leftovers when we got home and went to bed relatively early.

Friday: Aubrey slept late again. SO thankful! We got up and got ready for Sarah Denley and Ann Peyton to come over. SD brought lunch, and we had a fun time hanging out and chatting. Aubrey and AP got in a few fights though. It was kind of hilarious. Sarah Denley and I were trying to be serious and teach them to be kind to each other, but we were having a hard time keeping a straight face. I wish we could have videoed it to show to them in 15 years when they are BFFs. Haha. Anyway, after they left Aubrey and Jude both went down for their naps. Aubrey talked for a long time, and I didn't think she was going to go to sleep. At one point, she started yelling something, but I couldn't understand her through the monitor. I figured I should go in and check on her. Apparently what she was yelling was "Put diaper ON!" Yeah, she had taken her diaper off. Thank goodness, I caught it before anything yucky happened ;) After I put a new diaper on her, I told her she needed to lay down and go to sleep, and she actually did. Yay! Unfortunately, she woke up grumpy. David's mom was coming over to keep Aubrey while I went to the rehearsal for the wedding, and I was worried about how she would do since she wasn't exactly in a happy mood. She perked up though and didn't cry when I left. :) I took Jude with me because I didn't know how long I would be gone and I figured I would probably need to feed him. It's a good thing I took him, because the rehearsal ended up taking forever. Nothing was going very smoothly, and, by the end of it, Rebekkah and I were both pretty stressed out! After SEVERAL practice rounds, things started to improve. Two hours after it started, we were finally finished. I did have to sneak out for a while to feed Jude. David was at the rehearsal too since he was doing the sound for the wedding, and we went to dinner when we left church. Aubrey was happy to see us when we got home, but she and Dee Dee had a fun time! David put Aubrey right to bed since we were a bit late getting home.

Saturday: We all slept in. It was nice! David took Aubrey to Lowes after breakfast to get some stuff for the yard. When they got home, he worked outside on our flower beds. Aubrey went out with him for a while, but it was pretty hot, so she didn't last long. Aubrey, Jude, and I loaded up in the car and picked up Chick Fil A for lunch for all of us. After we got home and ate, it was time to get ready. We all took showers/baths and rushed to get out the door on time. (As I've said before, it's ALWAYS a mad rush to get out the door!) We actually were semi on time. My parents were at church for a meeting that was just ending as David and I were getting there for the wedding, so we just swapped cars with them, and they took the kids. The wedding went well! After the rehearsal the night before, I have to admit, I was a little worried. BUT it turned out great! Rebekkah and I both breathed a big sigh of relief when it was over though ;) We had to get the church all straightened up before the cleaning crew could come and we could leave, so we were there for a while. When David and I left, we went straight over to my grandparents' house, because that's where my parents were with Aubrey and Jude. We were going to dinner with a BIG group of family because my aunt from Indiana is in town. I had to feed Jude before we could leave, so we ended up being about 30 minutes late. It was ok though. The place where we ate is a fish place about 30 minutes away, and fried fish is definitely not my favorite, but this is where my out of town family always wants to eat, so what's where we went ;) It was fun, but Jude ended up crying most of the way home :( He was hungry, poor baby. Now we're home, Aubrey is in bed, Jude is asleep in my lap, and David just got done watching the Auburn game. I think, on that note, it's time to call it a night! :)


The Niemeyer Nest said...

I hope this week will be better for you. Evie is starting a lot of this Jekyl and Hyde behavior too. She goes from giggles to tears in two seconds flat. Lots of hormones in our house! Hope you can catch a nap this afternoon.

Nathalie said...

No, you're not awful for saying that the highlight of the day was nap time! We all need those breaks -- and some days definitely more than others!! You're doing a fantastic job as a mommy of 2!