Sunday, August 29, 2010

Week in Review: Sickness Strikes!

Our week started off great, but it ended with sickness and fussiness. I think we're on the mend though, thank goodness! Having 2 kids and sickness in the house is HARD work, I've learned!

Sunday: We were running so late for church. We're pretty much running late every week, which is bad since David does the sound half the time, but we were especially late that day. Oh well, we did make it. Jude did great -- slept through the whole service. He was still sleeping when it was time for Sunday School, so I decided to just go on to Sunday School even though it was time for him to eat. He lasted about 4.5 seconds before I had to take him out and feed him ;) We were able to go back in about halfway through. We went home after church and had crockpot roast for lunch. We all took naps that afternoon. We went to church that night, and Jude was good through the whole service. I fed him after church was over and we went to dinner with the Arants. We were going to go to this restaurant that David and I had never been to, but when we got there, they had closed the kitchen because of the weather. There was a really bad thunderstorm going on, but really? Who closes a kitchen for a thunderstorm?! People who are ready to go home, I guess. Haha. We ended up at Mazzios instead. There were some real characters working that night, and one girl told Rebekkah and me about how she had delivered her child herself at home alone. Good times.

Monday: Aubrey ended her streak of sleeping in, sadly. She was up at 7:30, which isn't too bad, but I had been up early feeding Jude and never got to go back to sleep. Oh well. We had a very uneventful day. It was one of those days where I thought it would be a miracle if Aubrey still liked me by the end of the day because I spent the whole day getting on to her. She was just feeling particularly strong-willed that day. Honestly, I think she was bored. She likes to get out of the house too. Anyway, I took a shower and did laundry while the kids napped. They both took nice long naps. I was tempted to take a nap myself, but I didn't. When David got home, I cooked some taco soup for us to eat for dinner when we got home from karate. We headed to church for karate after that. My mom and I (along with Aubrey and Jude of course!) went to Marshall's during karate. David and I were so tired that night, so we went to bed as early as we could.

Tuesday: I got up early to get ready for Bible Study. Of course, Aubrey slept until 8:45. We were running late, but we did manage to get out the door. Jude was having a meltdown in the car on the way to church, so I pulled over to give him his pacifier. It didn't really help though. I hate it when he screams in the car! (Thankfully it doesn't happen often.) I was kind of frazzled by the time we got to church, and then we stopped in the gym on our way to the nursery to talk to a lady who used to go to our church that I hadn't seen in ages and who now works at our church's preschool. Aubrey ran off to play in a cozy coupe while we were chatting, and when it was time to move on she pitched a fit. I had to put Jude's carseat down to pry Aubrey out of the car, and the diaper bag fell on him (he was fine!). I also dropped my cell phone and it fell apart. All the while, Aubrey was screaming like I was ripping her arm off. The preschool ladies were trying to help, and I could tell they felt sorry for me. No wonder... it looked like I had become a mom yesterday and I had NO CLUE. I was mortified. I literally had to drag Aubrey out of the gym kicking and screaming. Not my most shining moment. Aubrey isn't usually that bad, so I don't know what the deal was. Then she screamed and cried when I dropped her off in the nursery, which she hasn't done in a long time. Anyway, I was pretty flustered by the time I got in my Bible Study. It was good though, and I had calmed down by the time it was over. Jude slept in my arms the whole time. We stayed at church for lunch after Bible Study, and that was fun. Aubrey got to play in that beloved cozy coupe. Haha. It was past time for her nap when we left church, and I thought she would go right to sleep when we got home. Wrong. She just would not go to sleep. I went up to her room several times, and then she started yelling for "ya-yo" (yogurt) so I figured she was hungry. I took her downstairs and gave her yogurt and then put her back in her bed. She screamed and cried but did eventually go to sleep. Thank goodness! Jude was sleeping soundly through all that drama, thankfully. It was just one of those days where I really needed Aubrey to nap. By the time Aubrey went to sleep, I didn't have a ton of time before Jude was going to wake up to eat, so I pretty much just wasted time doing nothing productive. When Jude woke up, I fed him and then David was home. We were going to dinner with his parents that night because it was his mom's birthday, so David helped me bathe Jude. Then David went and woke Aubrey up while I got Jude dressed. David got Aubrey dressed for dinner while I freshened myself up. I topped Jude off, and then we went to Amerigo's. Yum! The kids were both pretty good during dinner -- Jude slept the entire time, but Aubrey got a little restless and bored. We need to start taking entertainment for her when we eat out. We had a fun dinner though, and I got my favorite dessert (Amerigo's tiramisu) to go. When we got home, we let Aubrey play for a while and then it was bedtime. She would not go to sleep for the longest time though. She was just talking. David and I got to bed early for once... we were in bed at 10:30 and Aubrey was still talking! Crazy! She did eventually go on to sleep.

Wednesday: I was going to a consignment sale that morning, so I got up before both of the children to get ready. Aubrey woke up at 8, and I gave her breakfast. I got Jude up shortly after that to feed him and get him ready. My grandmother came over to our house to keep Aubrey. I dropped Jude off at my mother-in-law's house on my way to the sale. With Jude still being so young and Aubrey so energetic, I think it's a lot to ask one person to keep both Aubrey and Jude. I decided it would work out well to split them up, and it did! They both had fun and did great! It was nice to be able to shop at the sale without a stroller. SD and Rebekkah were both there, and we all found some cute stuff. I got 3 outfits and 2 pairs of shoes for Aubrey and 2 outfits for Jude. (By the way, there is NEVER much boy stuff at this kind of thing, I'm learning! It's going to be harder to find cute stuff for Jude apparently.) After the sale, Sarah Denley and I went to breakfast at Broadstreet. Except they weren't serving breakfast anymore. We missed it by about 15 minutes. Boo! They serve quiche all day though, so I was still able to feel like I was eating breakfast. Haha. I felt like it had been ages since I had talked to SD, so it was great to catch up! I picked Jude up on my way home... he was sound asleep when I got there to get him! Sweet boy! When I got home, Aubrey was SO happy to see me. Precious! She had a meltdown when I picked Jude up when he was crying. She kept pointing at my grandmother, and telling her to "hold Jude." Haha. She wanted me all to herself. Aww. Even though she has fun with other people, I'm glad my baby misses me when I'm gone! After Nana left, I fed Jude and put him down for a nap. Then I put Aubrey down, and she went to sleep easily that day. Whew! I got some stuff done during naptime, and when David got home we went to church. We had a good night at church, but when we picked Aubrey up from the nursery, her nose was running. After we got home from church, I fed Jude and then met Rebekkah at the park to walk. We got some good exercise and had a great time chatting! Unfortunately, Aubrey had an awful night and ended up being awake almost all night long :(

Thursday: David and I decided Aubrey needed to go to the doctor that morning, so he stayed home with Jude while I took Aubrey. She was diagnosed with croup, and we got a prescription for a decongestant. We stopped by Target to get her medicine on the way home. When Aubrey and I got home, David went to work. Aubrey, Jude, and I had an ok day considering she was sick. Aubrey was pretty fussy, and it was pretty difficult when Jude needed me, and Aubrey also wanted my undivided attention. We survived though. I put Aubrey down for her nap early, and she slept ok. She cried out several times, but she did stay in her bed for a long while. I tired to nap too, but after waking up several times when Aubrey cried out, I gave up. We were glad when David got home that afternoon! We decided to all stay home from karate since Aubrey was sick and David was tired from being up most of the night. I picked up Newk's for dinner and we just hung out at home. We went to bed as early as possible. Thankfully, Aubrey had a much better night.

Friday: Aubrey woke up pretty early. I was hoping she would sleep later to catch up on her sleep, but it didn't happen. Her croup was pretty much gone, and she sounded MUCH better, but she was GRUMPY! We had an awful morning. She just whined and cried all morning. I tired to do everything I could to make her happy, but there was just no pleasing her. I gave her a bath, and she did enjoy that. I let her stay in the tub for a LONG time just to occupy her. I sat outside the bathroom door where I could still see her and folded clothes. Jude napped during her bath. When I got her out, she was immediately fussing again. I fed her lunch and put her to bed early. She ended up sleeping for 3 hours. It took me half that time to get Jude to sleep for his nap though. He just couldn't seem to fall asleep and stay asleep, so I kept having to go rock him and soothe him. Because of that, I didn't get a ton done. Aubrey woke up from her nap a different child. She was happy and sweet, and I was thrilled to have my usual happy baby back! Apparently, that sleep really helped. When David got home, I really wanted to get out of the house, and since Aubrey was feeling so much better, we went to dinner at Mellow Mushroom. After dinner I ran in Target, and then we headed home.

Saturday: David and Aubrey got up and went to Wal-Mart, and Jude and I slept in. It was great! We got ready and went shopping with my mom and grandmother. We went to TJ Maxx, Belk, Ross, Hobby Lobby, and Target. We had a good time, and Jude was sweet. My dad went over to our house to help David put up an electric fence so our dog can't jump over our wood fence anymore. They got it all done during Aubrey's naptime. Aubrey had a runny nose, but she still seemed to be feeling better. When Jude and I got home, we all went to eat Mexican for dinner. Jude was fussy after dinner, so we went home so I could feed him and then I went to Kroger.

Hopefully, we are on the mend and will be able to return to our regular activities this week!


Ashley said...

I am constantly amazed at how you manage so well with 2 kiddos! Seriously, I am so proud of you and I think you're doing a fantastic job!

I miss you.

Nathalie said...

Sorry to hear you had a tough week! I've been meaning to comment on all your posts but it would be essentially the same thing: Love reading your blog! You're an amazing mommy!!
Hope you have a nice week!