Thursday, January 28, 2010

Naps are for babies.

Aubrey has decided this week that she is too old for naps, thank you very much. That's right, my 16 month old thinks now would be a great time to give up napping entirely. Her mommy strongly disagrees. Aubrey has not taken a nap in her bed all week. I say she has not taken a nap in her bed because yesterday I was literally at my wits end after she had spent a long time screaming in her bed refusing to go to sleep, so I laid down in my bed with her and she did go to sleep for about an hour, amazingly. I don't want to make that a habit though.

I'm hoping this nap strike is because she is sick. It better be. Aubrey is too young to quit napping. She still needs a nap. I still really need her to take a nap. Especially when the baby is born! She gets really cranky in the early evening when she skips her nap. That doesn't make for very enjoyable evenings for David and me.

I really just don't know what to do though. I mean, I can't force her to go to sleep. Believe me, I would have done it already if I could. I don't mind letting her cry it out, but there comes a point where she obviously just isn't going to sleep and I might as well go get her. I haven't been letting her cry as long as I normally would this week since she's been sick. But next week... watch out. I feel bad letting her cry, but it really is for her own good. She NEEDS that sleep! Any tips for getting a baby to nap who is refusing? Like I said, hopefully all this is just because she's been sick and we can get back on our normal schedule next week.

I will admit, there is one positive to all of the missed naps: Aubrey slept until almost 10:00 this morning!! It was awesome. Of course, I had a doctor's appointment and had to get up and get ready, so I didn't get to fully enjoy it. It was still nice though :)

2 comments:

Christy said...

I bet it is due to illness. However, Laura Grace and Layton went through a nap strike around 18 months-they got over it quickly! I hope Aubrey does as well because I know you need rest!

Jennifer said...

Oh no, it has to be the sickness. Evie has been a little more difficult to put down lately. I have weaned a lot and I am hoping that is the issue. I let her cry for 10-15 and then go give her back the paci, lovey etc. that she has thrown out of crib -then re-start her music box! Hang in there - this too shall pass! Gotta go get something done during naptime.