Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Honesty

Ashley gave me the honest scrap award!
Rules for the award:
1. Must thank the person who gave you the award and list their blog and link it.

2. Share "10 Honest things" about yourself.

3. Present this award to 7 others whose blogs you find brilliant in content and/or design, or those who have encouraged you.

4. Tell those 7 people they've been awarded HONEST SCRAP and inform them of these guidelines in receiving the award.

I'm sure everyone who reads this blog knows by now that Ashley is one of my dearest friends. Not only do I love her blog, but I love her! We have such a great friendship, and we always have things to discuss :o) She has been such a great encouragement to me. So thank you, Ashley! :o)

Here are my honest things:

1.) I really tend to over-analyze things. Everything from what to wear to an event, to conversations that I'm going to have with friends, to people's tone of voice and body language when they're talking to me. Maybe because I over-analyze, I think I'm pretty perceptive. David tends to take people at face value. If they say something, then that's what they mean. I, however, know that people don't always say what they mean, and I can usually read people pretty well. I can pretty much tell when people are upset or uncomfortable.

2.) This is related to my over-analyzing, but I have this fear of cooking for people other than close family (like David). It's so dumb because I really enjoy cooking, and I think I'm pretty good at it. But when David wants to have people over, I immediately start thinking, "what am I going to cook? what if I cook something they hate? what if it burns or it's too runny or it's chewy?" I don't know why I do this to myself -- it's not like I'm critiquing the food when people have us over, and I'm sure people wouldn't do that when we had them over (if they were nice). I don't know... I guess it's just a fear I need to conquer.

3.) I am definitely a perfectionist. When anybody comes to my house, I want it in perfect condition. I want everything in it's place with the floors shining and candles lit and a happy coooing baby to boot. Anytime we're having anyone over, I kill myself cleaning the house. I mean I scrub baseboards, people. I dust chandeliers. I clean every mirror. Everyone says they don't care what the house looks like, and they probably don't. But the fact is that I do care what it looks like. It might be pride, I don't know. I do know that it made for a LOT of work when our house was on the market :-/

4.) I am deathly afraid of tornadoes. It's kind of a weird fear, because I've never actually been in a tornado to be traumatized. I have always been terrified of them though. When I was in elementary school and the tornado siren would go off, the other kids would be in the hall so excited that we were out of class, and I would be shaking and sobbing. When I was pregnant with Aubrey I was home alone one day, and there was a tornado on the ground really close to my house. I was in the closet on the phone with my mom crying so hard because I really thought my house was about to be destroyed and I was going to be killed along with my unborn baby. Thankfully that didn't happen :o) I REALLY want to get a tornado shelter installed at our new house. David thinks this is so unnecessary, but I think I'll be able to convince him. He'll probably go for it just so I don't get scared every time it gets cloudy outside and want us to stay up at night listening for the siren. Ha! You better believe I would sleep in that shelter on stormy nights ;o)

5.) I love sleep. I'm not a morning person at all. I sleep until Aubrey wakes up in the mornings. I was telling another mom at church recently that Aubrey sleeps until about 8, and her response was, "How wonderful! It must be so nice to be able to gets lots of stuff done before she wakes up." I just smiled. Haha! Maybe I'm lazy, but Aubrey is definitely my alarm clock.

6.) I am glad that Aubrey is a late teether. I was telling David the other day that it is so weird to me to see other kids her age with mouths full of teeth. I just feel like she looks like a baby still with her one little tooth. (Although, it's about to become two little teeth!) I just like it when babies look like babies :o)

7.) On that same note, I would never pierce my baby's ears. (If you chose to pierce your baby's ears, that's great -- I'm not judging your choice, I'm just telling my opinion :o) ) Those of you who know me know that I'm a pretty girlie girl. Aubrey almost always has a bow in her hair, and I love putting her in dresses. BUT, I just want her to be a baby for as long as possible. There will be plenty of time for ear piercing later. Plus, that is a decision I want to let her make for herself. My mom let me get my ears pierced as soon as I was old enough to ask, and I think that's a good policy. Also, I can barely handle it when she gets shots, and those are for her good -- there is no way I would make it through ear piercings! Haha.

8.) I am not a homebody at all, but since having Aubrey I have gotten a lot better. It used to drive me crazy if a day went by without me leaving the house. I would get SO bored. Now there are a lot of days when we just hang out at home, and I'm ok with that. I do love to get out of the house still and have lunch with friends or go to the park, but that's not going to happen everyday and it's fine. I do get bored and start to go stir crazy if several days go by without us doing anything. (We do leave the house almost everyday in the evenings if nothing else.)

9.) I think becoming a mom has made me a lot less vain. I'm not saying I've arrived, by any means though! I still like clothes and makeup and shoes, but they just aren't as important to me anymore. Plus, I've come to terms with the fact that my body will never be the same as it was pre-pregnancy. Haha. Stretch marks are here to stay. I definitely haven't "let myself go" and hope I never will. I just spend less time thinking about my appearance than I used to. I like to think that being a mom has made me less focused on myself in general. There is nothing like having a baby to remind you that the world doesn't revolve around you! :o) I still have a long way to go, but Aubrey reminds me daily to be more selfless.

10.) I am really excited about decorating my new house! We won't be able to get it done all at once, but I'm excited to do what we can and grow into it in the future. I have lots of ideas, and I can't wait to share pictures once the house is officially our's (one week from today!). David and I are excited about being able to have overnight guests and being able to have people over more often. Guess I'll have to get over #2, huh?? Haha.

Let's see... I tag:
Rachel
Jennifer H.
Jennifer N.
I can't think of anyone else who would want to do this... if you're reading and want to participate, consider yourself tagged!

2 comments:

i'm rachel said...

oh yay! i feel officially in the blog world now that i have been tagged! thank you! its kinda embarrassing how excited i am! you know what's weird is that when i was reading your list- i pretty much knew all of them! (except for the post-aubrey confessions!) it made me think about how long we have been friends- and how there is just a comfort in knowing someone that well! i'm working on my list!

Sarah Denley said...

No. 1, 5, and ESPECIALLY 7 are the reason why we are friends. Can we get AP and Aubreykin's ears pierced together one year for Christmas? HAHA! I need to see you!