Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Week in Review: Jude turns Two!

Our week was good last week. It started with a birthday! Jude turned two, and we had fun celebrating our sweet boy :) Sadly, it ended with Aubrey being slightly under the weather, but it was a good week nonetheless. 

Sunday: We were in a big rush to get to church that morning. I feel like we're always running the latest on the days when David is doing sound and we HAVE to be there on time. Anyway, I fixed some spaghetti sauce for lunch and put it in the crockpot, and then we were off to church. We had a good morning. After Sunday School, we came home and ate our spaghetti. We then had a very typical Sunday afternoon: naps! :) We went back to church that night, and then we came home and ate leftovers for dinner.
Being silly over dinner
As long as he's eating, I'm not complaining. We'll work on manners later ;)
Please look at my daughter. She had a big blowout in the nursery, and her unprepared mother hadn't packed her a change of clothes. So, the sweet ladies in the nursery put this little onesie on her. She looks like a little boy!
 We got the kids to bed, and had an uneventful evening.

Monday: Happy Birthday, Jude!! Aubrey and I went to get the birthday boy up that morning, and we sang Happy Birthday to him :) We ate breakfast and then got ready to go meet David for lunch. We met at Chick-Fil-A since that's the birthday boy's favorite :)
Jude was feeling unusually solemn, and I couldn't get a smile out of him. I think my two year old looks so sweet anyway. It was so hot outside that the camera lens fogged up, so excuse the fact that these pictures are hazey.
They held hands on their own without me telling them to. LOVE.
We had a fun lunch! It was nice to see David for lunch on a Monday. After we ate, the kids got ice cream, and of course they really enjoyed that. I needed to to feed Alaina, so David took Aubrey and Jude to play in the play area while I fed Alaina. Then it was time to take my hot, sweaty, tired children home. I put them down for naps, and Jude had a little trouble going to sleep, which was surprising. Alaina took some time getting to sleep too, which wasn't surprising. Finally everyone was asleep, and the house was quiet :) I did lots of laundry and some prepping for dinner that night. When the kids woke up, I cooked dinner, and then we ate. After dinner, we loaded up into the car to go get gas. When we got home, I put the kids in the tub. Jude talked to his Aunt Sarah on the phone who had called to wish him a happy birthday :) Then we just hung out waiting for David to get home. When he did get here, he played with the kids for a little while before taking them upstairs for bed. I got Alaina into her pajamas and fed her and got her to sleep. David and I then talked about our days while he ate dinner. I read my Bible Study homework for the next day, and then we went to bed.

Tuesday: We got up and got ready for Bible Study. Alaina woke up earlier than usual, so getting ready with her awake was a little tricky. We made it, though. When we got to church, I unloaded the kids, and as we were walking in, I noticed two couch cushions sitting out in the sun. Before I could stop them, Aubrey and Jude ran up to them and were touching all over them. I knew the cushions couldn't be outside for anything good, so I made them stop and told them not to put their hands near their mouths. As soon as we walked in, I smelled Lysol. I asked my dad about the couch cushions, and yep! A poor kid had thrown up on them. Ughh. I immediately took Aubrey and Jude to wash and sanitize their hands. Anyway, I dropped them off in the nursery and went to Bible Study, which I enjoyed. I then picked the kids up, and my mom watched them while I fed Alaina. We headed home after that. I fed them lunch and put them down for naps. I then spent a good amount of time holding Alaina to get her to sleep. My mom came over that afternoon, because David and I were going to see an early movie. I met him at Kroger, and we saw Spiderman in 3D. It was good! After the movie, we got dinner at Beagle Bagel. That was fun! We had called my mom and Alaina wasn't taking the bottle well, so I felt a little rushed, but I still enjoyed our date :) When we got home, I fed Alaina, and my mom told us about their afternoon, and then she left. David and I played with the kids until bedtime. He took them upstairs for bed, and I got Alaina down. He then went outside and mowed the grass because we were supposed to be hosting small group the next night. I needed to go to the grocery store, but by the time he got in, it was after 9:30, and I just didn't feel like going. That just meant I would have to take all the kids the next day :/ I played around on the internet for a while before bed.

Wednesday: Hosting small group that night meant no gym for me. When we got up, I made a grocery list, and then I cleaned up the dining room, which was still kind of in disarray from Jude's birthday party. Then I fed Alaina and got us all dressed, and we headed to Kroger. I try to NEVER take all three kids to the grocery store by myself, but we only needed a few things. It actually went just fine until the very end when Alaina started loosing her mind. I just hustled us out of there as quickly as possible. When we got home, I unloaded all the groceries, and Aubrey had a meltdown because I couldn't carry her inside (since I was carrying Jude and the groceries). So, she was screaming, Alaina was screaming, and I was frazzled. We finally got all the screaming resolved, and I made a black eyed pea dip for that night. I fixed lunch for the kids and got them down for naps. I was starting to get the house in order for company when a friend from small group called to say that a lot of people were going to have to miss that night and that small group was going to be VERY small ;) David and I talked and decided to just cancel. Everyone was good with that decision, and that meant I didn't have to finish cleaning my house. Ha!
They were both having fun with some of Jude's birthday presents :)
I got on the internet and then got myself ready. When David came home, we weren't sure what to do with our unexpected evening with no plans. I didn't have anything planned for dinner since we usually eat at small group. We decided to go to McAlister's and use a gift card I had won at Bunco :) We had fun at dinner, but it started POURING right as we were ready to leave. David went and got the car, but we still all got a little wet. We came home and David helped me bake some cookies for a family I was taking dinner to the next night. I was holding Alaina, so I gave instructions, and David did everything else. The cookies turned out great :) Aubrey was having a major fit this whole time over something, so that was a bit stressful. After the cookies were done, David put the two older kids to bed, and I got Alaina to bed. I blogged before going to bed.

Thursday: We had another day at home. We just hung out and played that morning. We colored and went outside for a little while. I put a roast in the crockpot to take to a family from church that night. We had a nice morning at home. I got lunch for the kids, and then I put them down for their naps. I took a shower and got ready, and I worked on the rest of the meal. Aubrey woke up from her nap saying her stomach hurt. I wasn't sure what was going on with her, but she was very lethargic. She just laid on the couch. I was planning on delivering the meal by myself as soon as David got home, but the weather had gotten bad. It was raining SO hard, and the people who I was taking food to live about 30 minutes away. I was kind of nervous about going by myself in that weather, so we were all going to go. But then when Aubrey was acting so strange, I wasn't sure. Right before it was time to leave, she perked up and said she felt better. So, we all loaded up and went. The traffic was terrible, and it was pouring. We were in the car what felt like forever, but we finally arrived, and I ran the food in. When we were about 2 minutes from the house where we had dropped off the food, Aubrey threw up. Ughh. I kind of freaked out. I HATE throw up, in case you've forgotten ;) David was going to stop at a gas station to clean her up, but it was still pouring and we were in a rough area of town, so I was scared to stop. Aubrey wasn't upset about the throw up at that point, so we decided to keep going until we got to a safer place to stop. By the time we got somewhere we felt comfortable stopping, we were fairly close to home, so we just kept going. But Aubrey started having a meltdown about 10-15 minutes from home (poor girl), and Jude and Alaina followed suit. All three of them were wailing for the last bit of our trip. David and I were about go to crazy. Ha! When we got home, I got Jude and Alaina inside, and David put Aubrey in the bathtub. When she was cleaned up, we ordered pizza and I went to pick it up. We ate dinner, and David cleaned up Aubrey's carseat. Aubrey felt totally fine after getting sick, and she was never sick again that night. So weird. Anyway, we got the kids to bed, and then I got on the internet for a little while before bed.

Friday: We were supposed to get together with the Herrington's that day, but after Aubrey threw up the night before, I had to cancel :( So we had another day at home. The day didn't start off all that great because the kids were up a lot earlier than I was expecting. Alaina had been up a few times in the night, and I was just tired. After I woke up a little bit, it turned out to be a pleasant morning. I got some housework done, and then we ate lunch. I put the kids down for naps, and I took a shower and cleaned up the lunch mess. When Aubrey woke up from her nap, she was crying and saying that her throat hurt. My first thought was that she had strep after throwing up the night before and now having a sore throat. She didn't have any fever, though. She was super lethargic again, and she just laid on the couch until David got home. We started cooking dinner. I fixed potatoes and asparagus, and David grilled steaks.
Alaina tried out the exersaucer for the first time.
When Alaina got tired of it, I got her out. When I looked back a minute later, this is what I found.
 Aubrey decided she wanted to go lay in her bed. At that point, we knew something was going on, and we figured we would definitely be taking her to the doctor the next day. Aubrey stayed in bed and didn't want to eat dinner. She did come down after a while and said she felt a little better, but she never did eat. I needed to go to Target, so I took Alaina with me, and David stayed home with Aubrey and Jude. When we got home from Target, they were outside playing, and David said they had had a great time. Aubrey and totally snapped out of her funk, and she was running around playing like normal. She said her throat didn't hurt anymore. It was so STRANGE. We put the kids to bed, and then we stayed up too late.

Saturday: I had to get up early to go to a workshop at Aubrey's school, and it was SO hard to get up. It was super dark and it was raining and thundering. THE perfect sleeping weather! I dragged myself out of bed and got ready. Aubrey was feeling good that morning and acting normal. So, David got the kids ready and took all of them to the Farmer's Market. Brave man!
 I went to the workshop, and it was good but SO overwhelming. It was a reading workshop, and I cannot believe I'm going to be teaching my child how to read. That is a scary and exciting thought! Thankfully, that's still a ways away (this school doesn't encourage trying to teach children to read really early), and the school will be telling me exactly what to do :) After the workshop, I stood outside talking to the Herringtons for a while. Then I headed home to relieve David. He was fixing lunch for the kids and trying to give Alaina a bottle. I just took her and nursed her. Then we got them all down for naps. Alaina wasn't wanting to stay asleep though. I really needed to get my book club book (since we were meeting in 3 days), so I needed to go to a book store. I went to Books A Million, and thankfully, they had the book I needed. I went back home after that, and Alaina was awake. I knew she needed a better nap, so I nursed her and she fell asleep, so I just held her and let her nap. When the other kids got up, we bathed them and got them ready.

We then went and met my whole family at a hibachi place for dinner. We always go out together in July because there are a LOT of July birthdays our family. (Those of us who were NOT born in July, however, don't get any recognition. Ha.) We had a fun dinner, although Alaina and Jude both had to be held the whole time. Aubrey sat with my parents and was as happy as could be. After dinner, we went to Kroger. I nursed Alaina in the parking lot, and then we went in. She still had a meltdown in the store (she was over-tired), so David took Alaina and Jude outside while Aubrey and I finished up the shopping. When we got home, we put the kids right to bed. I picked out my clothes for the next day, and I read some of my book before bed.


The Niemeyer Nest said...

David wins the super Dad and Husband award! Carl is a really good Dad and husband too. Your hubby seems always ready to lend a hand. Maybe he could teach classes to the other Dads.

David Howie said...

I just have a really good help-mate who makes me look good.