Sunday, October 16, 2011

Week in Review: Molars Ruining our Mood!

Well, this week was a little frustrating, I'm not going to lie. Jude was teething (he's getting at least two molars), and he is just having a tough time. My usually happy, easy baby has been SUPER fussy and hard to please. I know it's just because his poor mouth is hurting, so I'm trying to be really patient with him, but my goodness, the whining just gets to you after a while! Also, Aubrey has been going through a "testing the limits" stage lately, and that's been exhausting. I feel like just when I think we've gotten to a good, easy place with her behavior-wise, a new difficult stage pops up. It's just human nature to constantly test the limits, and it keeps us humble about our parenting for sure! Anyway, I hate to be a complainer, and we did have some fun days this week. Unfortunately, the kids now both have colds (Aubrey had ANOTHER croup attack Friday night), so it looks like we might be in for another week of fussiness. The Lord's grace is sufficient, though! :)

We got up and got ready for church. We left a little early because David and I had nursery duty. We were in the baby room, and it was fine. After church, we went to Sunday School. We had a small class again. When we got home from church, we ate lasagna for lunch.
Sadly, I saw a lot of this unhappy face this week.

We went outside in the backyard for a little while after lunch, and took some pictures.
Oh, you know. Just a normal Sunday afternoon at the Howie house, hanging out in the backyard half dressed ;)

Then we took naps. Jude didn't nap very well. We went back to church that evening. David had to lock-up that night, so we were late leaving church. Jude was tired, hungry, and fussy by the time we left. We stopped by Corner Bakery on the way home and got a quick dinner. We put the kids right to bed when we got home, and then I watched some TV and blogged. We ended up staying up too late.

We got up and got ready to go to lunch with Sarah Denley and her kids. Since we had been sick one week, and then they were under the weather too, we hadn't seen them in several weeks. We met at Primos, and we had fun! We stayed as long as the kids would let us - haha! When we got outside, AP and Aubrey played in the dirt for a few minutes while SD and I finished up our conversation. Aubrey got pretty muddy! ;) We came back home after lunch and attempted naptime. Aubrey just played, and Jude never napped well :( I gave him Tylenol and rocked him, but he just never could seem to get to sleep. It was frustrating because I knew he was tired. I finally gave up and got both kids up. We were planning on going to my mom's that evening so that I could go to the gym, but after Jude didn't nap, I decided we should just stay close to home so we could do an early bedtime.
Tinkerbell was worn out!

I did load the children up in the double stroller and go for a walk around the neighborhood. That was HARD! That stroller is heavy and not really made for walking, and our neighborhood is pretty hilly. I was winded and sweaty by the time we got home! Jude got fussy toward the end of the walk, so I was quite happy when we arrived back home. We ate leftovers for dinner when we got home, and then I gave Jude a bath. We watched some Dancing with the Stars until it was finally late enough to put Jude to bed. He was ready and so was I :) When David got home from karate, he bathed Aubrey and put her to bed. I was so happy to just sit and relax with a book at that point! I just read/ got on the internet until bed.

Aubrey and I were up bright and early, but Jude slept until 9! He was catching up on his sleep. It was nice because I was able to get Aubrey and myself ready for Bible Study before he got up. I fed him breakfast and dressed him, and then we headed out. We had a nice Bible Study (it was Circle this week), and we went to lunch at Beagle Bagel with Rebekkah and Carver after it was over. Aubrey had gotten it in her head that she wanted to sit outside, but I didn't want to have to carry highchairs and all our food/drinks, plus Jude outside, so I told her we were just going to sit inside that day. That lead to an EPIC fit. It was probably the worst tantrum she has ever thrown in public, and it was definitely the worst tantrum she has had in quite a while. It was pretty embarrassing, but I know it's just part of having kids. I had to carry her to the bathroom literally kicking and screaming, and she got in trouble and we talked about what had happened and stayed until she had calmed down. Meanwhile, I had just left Jude with Rebekkah at the table. We were finally able to come back out and Aubrey apologized for how she acted (she had hit Carver during all of the madness), and she was pretty good the rest of the lunch. We had fun in spite Aubrey's fit and Jude's throwing food on the floor. When we got home, I put the kids down for naps, and they both slept. Jude took a GREAT nap, and I was so happy that he was able to sleep. When the kids woke up, Aubrey had another little defiant episode, but thankfully David was home to deal with that one. She perked up and was in a sweet, happy mood when we got downstairs. I got ready to go to Bunco that night (Yay for a night out!), and David played with the kids. I picked Rebekkah up and we rode to Bunco together. It was a fun night, and it was nice to get a little break. When I got home, David told me about their evening. He said they had a fun night, and he took the kids on a walk. He didn't take the double stroller; he just took the single and let Aubrey walk. He even took Knightly. I would never be brave enough to do that! He said they walked for almost an hour, and Aubrey did great and walked almost the whole time. When they got back on our street, she said her feet were "almost tired", so he carried Jude and let Aubrey ride the rest of the way home. I told him about my evening, and we went to bed.

Wednesday: When the kids got up, I fed them breakfast and got them dressed, and then we went to my parents' house so that I could go to the gym. Aubrey and Jude had fun playing at the grandparents' house, and I had a good workout. When I went back to pick them up, we stayed for a few minutes, and then we came on home. I fixed lunch for us, and then I gave Jude a bath and put him down for his nap.
Yummy applesauce!
"Where's Jude?"
"There he is!"

I then bathed Aubrey and put her in her room. She just played that day. While the kids were in their rooms, I took a shower and got ready. I got the kids up and dressed them, and then we went to church for tutoring. It was fine, but the kids didn't have hardly any homework that day, so we finished really early. David met us at church, and we talked while the kids played in the gym. We still had quite a while before church started, so I went to Books A Million and browsed around and left David at church with Aubrey and Jude. While I was in the book store, it started pouring down rain. I didn't have an umbrella, and I couldn't just wait it out, because David had a meeting at 5:30, and needed to get back to church to watch the kids. I had to make a run for it, and I got absolutely drenched. It was pretty miserable. It had slacked off a lot by the time I got to church (of course). I was freezing from being so wet, so I went to the bathroom and dried of as best I could. David went to his meeting, and the kids and I went to the fellowship hall for dinner. David joined us when he finished with his meeting, and we had a good dinner. David had another meeting after dinner, and I had to teach. When we finished with our responsibilities, we got the kids and headed home. We put the kids to bed, and then we just relaxed until bed.

Thursday: When we got up that morning, we ate breakfast and just hung out at home. Aubrey watched a movie and Jude played while I looked up some recipes and made a grocery list. I took a shower and got ready, and then we went to Kroger. Grocery trips are always a little stressful these days, but we lived. When we got home, I was trying to cook some soup for lunch and put the groceries up all while Jude cried and Aubrey whined about being ready for lunch. It was a pretty stressful little while. We were finally ready to eat lunch, and Jude didn't eat much. That's been one other bad thing about him teething -- he's eaten next to nothing. I decided we needed an early naptime, so that's what we did! The kids both slept, thankfully! I was worn out after the morning we had, so I took a nap too. I woke up before the kids, and I was able to straighten up the house. When the kids woke up, we went outside for a little while, and then we came back in so that I could start dinner. We had pork loin, roasted potatoes, and asparagus. When David got home, I was finishing up dinner, and the kids were a little fussy, so he took them outside for a few minutes. We ate dinner as soon as it was ready, and then the countdown to bedtime began. Haha! That sounds terrible, but for some reason, that evening time between dinner and bedtime is just not fun for Jude. That seems to be his fussiest time. When we got him to bed, I watched some TV, and David put Aubrey to bed. I finished reading my book club book before bed.

Friday: That morning, we got up and got ready and went to my parents' house again. My dad took the kids to Waffle House for breakfast and I went to the gym. When I got back to my parents' house, the kids weren't back yet, so I just visited with my mom until they got back. They had stopped by to see my grandparents after breakfast, and they had fun! We stayed for a while longer, and then we headed home. I fed the kids leftovers for lunch, and then they took naps. Aubrey didn't sleep, and she was kind of loud that day. There was just a lot of banging around in her room, and I had to go up there several times to remind her that her brother was sleeping and to please be quiet. While they rested, I took a shower and straightened up the house. David got home a little early just as Jude was waking up and it was time to get Aubrey up. He went and got them, and I dusted and vacuumed and wiped down Jude's highchair. I finished getting ready, and then we just hung out at home for a while. That evening, we went to my great aunt's house for dinner. We had some family in town who we don't see often, and it was kind of like a big family reunion :) There were a lot of people there, and we don't get to see a lot of them very much. We had a good time, and Aubrey and Jude played and played. Jude got pretty fussy as it got close to bedtime, so we left right after dessert. We put the kids to bed when we got home, and then I watched some Say Yes to the Dress before bed. We actually went to bed really early for a Friday night. It's a good thing, because the kids had a rough night. Aubrey had a croup attack -- it's crazy how fast those come on. She had been totally fine that evening and before bed. Thankfully, it wasn't a bad one, and we gave her medicine, and David propped up with her in her bed for a big part of the night so that she wouldn't get bad. Jude was up about every 2 hours just crying and fussing, and I really didn't know what was going on until the next morning when he got up and was SUPER snotty.

Saturday: I had a headache when I woke up, so I went back to sleep for a little while, and David fed the kids breakfast and watched them. I got up around 9, and we discussed our plans for the day. Originally, we planned to go to the fair that morning, come home for naps, and go to Family Camp that evening (a group of people from our church was camping all weekend, and we knew we weren't up for overnight camping with the kids, but we were going to go hang out for a while that afternoon and evening). We knew camp was out with the kids under the weather, but we decided we could still do the fair. We had already told Aubrey we were going, and she was really excited. Plus, we weren't going to be close enough to anyone to expose them to our cold germs, and the kids seemed to feel ok. So, we got ready and headed to the fair. We had a lot of fun! I'm going to do a separate post with fair pictures. Jude was a little trooper in the stroller, but he got fussy toward the end, so we got him out. We got some good fair food and rode some rides and saw some animals before coming home. It got HOT, and we were worn out. I put Jude down for a nap, but he couldn't really sleep since he was so congested. I hate that! I still had a headache and was feeling so worn out, so I took a nap too. Aubrey did sleep, and David said Jude slept for about 30 minutes (he was in his bed longer, but he was awake for most of it). When I got up, Jude was up, and he was in a good mood. I watched him while David got on the computer, and then we woke Aubrey up at 5. We hung out at home for a while, and then we got Mexican for dinner. We sat outside, and it was a nice night. We ran to Target after dinner, and then we came home for bedtime. We got the kids to bed, and David watched the Auburn game while I got on the internet.

1 comment:

The Niemeyer Nest said...

I agree once you get one thing figured out with parenting something else crops up! Walking with the double stroller is so hard. I almost wish that I had skipped buying a double and just got a double jogger for walking. Hope your week gets off to a good start!