Saturday, January 8, 2011

Week in Review: Stomach Bugs and Cabin Fever

This was a long, boring week. Aubrey was sick with the stomach bug at the beginning of the week, and so I didn't try to make any plans for several days just to make SURE she was well. You can never be too careful with those gross germs! I am not a homebody at all, so I kind of started to go stir crazy. We did get out of the house some, but I didn't really get much adult interaction. It was just such a change from last week when David was home most of the week and I had lots of stuff to do. This week did make me realize what a blessing it is to have activities and friends to get together with regularly. I think being a stay at home mom would get pretty lonely without that. We are all well at the moment, and I hope to stay busier next week! :)

Sunday: Aubrey had been sick with her stomach bug half the night, so we knew we wouldn't be going to church. David and I were supposed to have nursery duty, and I was supposed to teach the 2 year old Sunday School class. So, I got up early to find replacements. My family did nursery duty for us, and Rebekkah taught the 2 year olds. David and I expected Aubrey to wake up any minute, so we were just kind of waiting around to see how she would be when she woke up. I ran to Kroger to get some pedialyte (which she ended up HATING - I think she took maybe 2 sips of it.) and some bland food for her to eat. When I got home, Jude was awake. After a while, Aubrey was still sleeping, and Jude went down for a nap. David was tired from being up in the night, so he took a nap, too. Finally at 11:15, I went and woke Aubrey up because I was worried about her getting dehydrated. She was actually in a very sweet, pleasant mood. She REALLY wanted milk and wasn't too happy when I wouldn't let her have any, but she settled for water. She ate a little Popsicle and half of a banana and kept it down fine, so I was hopeful that she was on the mend. She told me all about being sick the night before, and she was being kind of loud and ended up waking David up. He said he didn't really sleep well, but he wanted to check on Aubrey. I fixed lunch while they hung out. We ate baked spaghetti and just sat around for a while. When it was time for Jude to nap again, David decided to lay down with him and try to get a better nap. Aubrey and I played upstairs so we wouldn't wake them up. I was pretty sleepy myself (I'm just so used to my Sunday afternoon nap!) and I tried to convince Aubrey that it would be a great idea to take a nap, but she didn't buy it ;) I wasn't surprised since she had slept so late. David got up when Jude woke up and felt much more rested. I fed Jude, and he still seemed tired, so I tried laying down with him to see if he would go back to sleep. Um, no. Oh well - it was worth a try! We just hung out at home for the rest of the afternoon/evening. That night, David brought down all of the boxes for the Christmas decorations so I could start taking everything down. I got everything off both trees, but didn't get much further. Our house was TRASHED with all the Christmas decorations and boxes. UGH. By the time the kids went to sleep, I was so tired and just felt blah. I just laid around all day, and I was feeling kind of stir crazy. We ended up just going to bed early.

Monday: Aubrey slept until after 9, and I was pretty happy about that! She was in a good mood and seemed to be feeling fine when she woke up. I, unfortunately, wasn't very smart and let her chug a bunch a milk on an empty stomach when she got up, and she ended up spitting up a little. I felt bad, because I should have made her eat something first and drink milk slowly. I just assumed since it had been over 24 hours since she had gotten sick, she would be fine. She was NOT happy when I took the milk away, and it took her a while to get over that. She ended up being fine the rest of the day, but we avoided milk just to be safe. We stayed home again to make sure Aubrey was really well, and I just did some laundry and played with Aubrey and Jude. I was about ready to bust out of the house, though, not gonna lie. We got ready and went to church for karate. It was the first night back after having a LONG break. Going back was a little bittersweet. During karate, we went to Target with my mom. On the way home, I picked up a pizza for dinner. I worked on posting our Christmas pictures and got SO annoyed with our computer/blogger. I ended up staying up way later than I wanted and going to bed frustrated.

Tuesday: I knew we had to get out of the house that day. We were all needing a change of scenery. After we were all up and dressed, we went to a park in our neighborhood. I really want to get serious about exercising regularly, and so I put both of the kids in the double stroller and walked. Jude ended up taking his morning nap in the stroller, and Aubrey was great! I had told her that if she was good while I walked, we could swing after I finished. The weather was so nice, and it was just a very pleasant morning. Aubrey loved swinging and sliding down the slide. She was just so cute! It definitely made me want to make a habit of going to the park to walk and play. When we finished, we went to Sonic so that I could get a drink. Aubrey asked for a drink, so I decided to get her a strawberry slushy. I told her I got her a special drink that she could have after lunch when we got home. Well, guess what? She HATED it. She took one sip and told me to throw it away. Ha! I should have known she wouldn't like it, because she really doesn't like juice. She is a milk and water girl. So much for her special drink ;) I put Aubrey down for her nap after lunch, but she really wasn't tired because she had slept late that morning. Jude had just gone to sleep downstairs, though, so I didn't want to bring her down and risk her waking him up. I gave her a book and told her she could look at it quietly but she had to stay in bed. She ended up staying in there for an hour and a half, and then Jude was awake, so I went and got her. She was very happy, in spite of not napping. David got home right after that, and I got ready for Bunco. I was glad to have Bunco that night for some girl-out-of-the-house-time. Rebekkah came and picked me up and we met my mom and all rode together. We had a fun time at Bunco, and I got home pretty late. Both kids were asleep :)

Wednesday: This was our little friend Carver's first birthday! We had made plans to have lunch with the birthday boy, but Rebekkah texted me that morning to let me know she had come down with the stomach bug :( We were sad to miss seeing them! I had already told Aubrey we were going to lunch, and I REALLY wanted to get out of the house, so I decided to just get ready and still go to lunch. That's a first for me - I've never eaten at a restaurant without another adult. I know this isn't a big deal, but I've just never been able to bring myself to do it, for some reason. I feel like Aubrey is old enough now to carry on an actual conversation, so it wouldn't feel like I was eating alone. So, we got ready and went to Beagle Bagel. It was fun! It was a little different being there with just the two kids, but we were all happy to be having lunch together out of the house (at least Aubrey and I were - I don't think Jude really cared). After lunch, we came home and Aubrey and Jude went down for their naps. Aubrey took a good nap, but Jude only slept for about 45 minutes. I don't know what I'm going to do about these short naps! I didn't get a lot done since he was up most of the afternoon. When David got home, we talked for a while and got ready to go to church. We had pizza at church for dinner. I didn't really have anything to do after dinner, so I went into my mom's little class that she teaches until I had to go feed Jude. When we got home from church, we got the kids to bed, I watched some TV, and then we went to bed.

Thursday: Aubrey woke up early, and I was NOT ready to get up. Of course I had no choice, though. Aubrey and I ate breakfast and played quietly until Jude woke up. We then got ready and went to the grocery store. We took our time in Kroger - we really do like just being out and about. Haha! When we got home, Jude was sleeping, so I was able to unload all of the groceries and fix some lunch for Aubrey and me. He woke up right as we were finishing, and the three of us just hung out until naptime. I put Aubrey down and then fed Jude and put him down for his nap. While they were both sleeping, I got myself ready (I went to Kroger with no makeup). Then Jude was awake. I held him and talked to him for a while and then put him in his exersaucer so I could put some food in the crockpot for dinner. Aubrey woke up a little later, and I got the kids ready to go to karate. When we got outside to get in the car, I realized it was a little early, so I put the kids in the double stroller and we walked up and down our street. The weather was SO nice! We went to church after that, and Aubrey ate dinner before we left to run errands. We went to the mall so that my brother could get some shirts. When we got back to church, class was over, and we headed home. I fed Jude rice cereal while David put Aubrey to bed, and then David and I ate chicken tortilla soup for dinner. I then got Jude ready for bed, and put him down. By the time we got to bed, it was pretty late.

Friday: Aubrey woke up before 7. I had been up in the night several times with Jude (please go back to sleeping through the night, Jude!!) and I think I got around 6 hours of sleep. That does not cut it for me. I wasn't overly thrilled to be starting the day, but Aubrey was! We ate breakfast and played and then we got ready to go to lunch with Sarah Denley and Ann Peyton. I was really glad to be getting together with a friend - I needed an adult conversation :) We were walking out the door when Jude pooped, so I had to go back and change him which made us late. We had a fun lunch though! Aubrey had a meltdown when the guy came and took our plates after we were done eating, because he took her cup too that she apparently wasn't finished with. It absolutely broke. her. heart. I felt bad for her. She talked about "that man" who took her cup for the rest of the day. She then smashed her hand in the bathroom door as we were leaving. So, we had quite the dramatic exit, but it was still a good time :) When we got home, Aubrey went to sleep, and I was so sleepy that I decided to lay down with Jude and take a nap. He would NOT go to sleep. I laid there with him for an hour trying to get him to go to sleep, and he just didn't seem sleepy. I finally just gave up. I was sad because I really wanted a nap! Aubrey woke up shortly after we got up, so I guess it's good that I didn't go to sleep after all. We decided to go outside and go for a walk. We walked up and down our street several times waiting for David to get home. When he finally did get home, he wasn't feeling well :( He just felt exhausted and a little nauseous. I got really worried that he was getting a stomach bug, too, and wouldn't let him touch the kids. I was so sad and upset that he wasn't feeling well because I had REALLY been looking forward to him getting home and talking to me and helping me with the kids. I ended up taking the kids to get some dinner and to Target so that David could rest (and so we would have minimal exposure if he was sick). When we got home, we watched Say Yes to the Dress and then I put Aubrey to bed. David had been sleeping, but he got up and said he was feeling better. I think he really was just exhausted. We really HAVE to start going to bed earlier. David averages about 5-6 hours of sleep a night. Ridiculous. I got Jude to bed and then read before going to bed. I made David sleep in the guest bedroom just in case ;)

Saturday: Aubrey slept until 8:30 :) David was feeling fine and got up with her. Since he never got sick and was feeling better, I decided he was safe to be around. Ha! Jude woke up at 8:45 and didn't want to go back to sleep with me. Haha. So, we got up and hung out for a while. I took a shower and got ready and then put Jude down for a nap. I then left David and the kids at home and went to run a few errands. I got back later than I had planned, so we had to rush to get ready because we were going to Carver's birthday party! We were late (of course) but it was so cute! We had lots of fun celebrating with our sweet little friend :) When we left, we came home and worked on organizing the boxes of Christmas decorations. David wants to be very organized about how he puts them in the attic this year. I'm so ready to get them all put away. We made some good progress! Aubrey had skipped her nap for the party, and she was WHINY. It got old fast. After a while of working, we stopped and went to dinner and Kroger. The grocery stores are all packed around here because we are supposed to have "winter storm" tomorrow, and of course everyone is freaking out. I just hope we don't lose power or get snowed in! We put Aubrey to bed as soon as we got home since she was a total grump. Now, David is just working on putting the Christmas stuff up, and I'm hoping we get to bed at a decent hour!

PS - Isn't my new blog header so cute?? Thanks to Ashley for doing it for me! :)

1 comment:

Nathalie said...

Love the new background! Emily is a milk and water girl too :).