Thursday, August 26, 2010

Germs and a Sleepless Night

I knew it would happen sooner or later... I was hoping it would be a little later though. Sickness has struck our house for the first time since Jude was born! Thankfully, Jude is not sick at this point. It's poor little Aubrey who is the sick one. She was totally fine yesterday. She took a good nap and was in a fine mood. We went to church last night, and she sneezed a few times on the way. I said to David, "She will probably have a runny nose in the next few days... she always gets a runny nose when she sneezes." David probably thought I was just being pessimistic (haha), but, sure enough, her nose was running by the time we left church last night. (Even I didn't expect it to come on that quickly!)

She had a terrible, horrible night last night. She was literally up all night. She cried out shortly after David and I had gone to bed, and he went up to see if he could comfort her. I woke up a while later and realized that David had never come back to bed. I assumed he had just gotten Aubrey to sleep in the guest bedroom, and so I went back to sleep. (I know, I know... terrible.) I woke up at 4:20 to feed Jude, and David was still gone. I decided to go check on them, and when I got to the stairs, I could hear Aubrey screaming crying. David and Aubrey were in the guest bedroom like I thought, but they weren't sleeping. David said Aubrey had been awake the whole time. He said she was happy and playing most of the time, but she was just having a meltdown by the time I got up there. I felt terrible that I had slept though all that, but David said he didn't come get me because I was taking care of Jude. Um, yeah, Jude was sleeping the whole time, so I think I got the better end of that deal! I told David to go downstairs and sleep and I took over Aubrey duty. I eventually got her calmed down, but she just could not get into a sound sleep. She pretty much tossed and turned for 2 hours before we finally got up. She sounded awful... I recognized the sound of her cough and figured she had croup.

David was up and planning to go to work even though he had only gotten a couple hours of sleep. We decided Aubrey needed to go to the doctor though, so he stayed home this morning so I wouldn't have to take Jude to the doctor and expose him to even more germs. Aubrey does, in fact, have croup. She got a dose of an oral steroid in the doctor's office, and they said it is supposed to work within 8 hours, so tonight should be better than last night. Right now, Aubrey is in her bed trying to nap, but she keeps waking up crying. Poor baby is exhausted but she just can't sleep :(

I'm so nervous that Jude is going to get sick. I knew he would be exposed to sickness a lot earlier than Aubrey was since he is a second child, but I REALLY don't want him sick at 6 weeks old! We are going to try to keep them separated as much as possible and wash our hands a lot. I don't know what we would do with 2 sick kids! :/

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I am SO SORRY! Praying intensely for you! xoxo!